Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change ID key - Windows xp pro+sp1

Hello to the forum,
    Let me first introduce myself in short, I am retired, which meens not so young,
    live in Israel, Kfar-Saba.
    Before writing the subjected problem I read the forum's rules, there is only one thing which bothers me - it is the 'double posting', and I say it because even on this very forum when I loged in and got the welcome message, trying to post a message I got an answer that I am not logged in and had to do it again.
    (Update: More then once, and I hope that now it will be succesful )
    Such a thing happened on some other forum, after writing my message and clicking on "post", nothing happened (again not logged in), so I posted again and got confirmation, but some members were angry because of the 'double post' which was not on purpose at all. So if this happens here for my first time with you, don't be angry.

Now to my question:
    Recently had my PC for some shop-repair. After it returned could not get updates from microsoft, it said the installation key is not legal.
    As I have the right key and wanted to replace it, first I used some small programs downloaded from the net, however could not get the screen to enter the key, instead I got the screen saying the Windows is already activated.
    Searching microsoft site (and the same here) I used the method of editing the registry (Q328874) and got the same answer, however when I try to update from microsoft, I still get the answer it is not a legal installation.
    What shell I do to change the ID key?
    Some help will do.
    Thanks in advance.
    L.J.

Re: Change ID key - Windows xp pro+sp1

Hi,

If the CD is legal why don't you contact the Microsoft hotline and ask for their help?

09-7625400‎
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Ring the Microsoft Piracy number in Israel and describe your problem. Since the number is genuine they should send you an email that has a link to check your number and fix this problem you have. Once that is done you should be able to update your PC. This same thing has happened to me on clean installs from sealed XP OEM versions so don't sweat it.

If you still have problems after that, post back here for further assistance.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi LongJohn,
        Did the shop do a reinstall of Windows? If so, they may have not bothered to use your key (which you have on a sticker on the case?) but used a dodgy key instead with an even dodgier corporate version of XP. I have, unfortunately, seen this happen too often. As advised, contact Microsoft and explain the circumstances. Since you have a genuine license which came with your PC, they should sort it out for you.

Dont try using any of the dodgy "activation fixes" as they will make changes to your PC that may muck things up later. If all else fails, you should be able to do a clean reinstall using the key you got with the machine.

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello and thanks to all the 'answerers'

For the attention of the webmaster: I make this reply very short, as after loging in and the welcome notice, I wrote some answers and when clicking the 'submit' button, I was again bounced out and was told I am not loged in etc. etc. This happened many times yesterday.

1. Still diging for solutions - MS charges for support.
          2. Shop did some hardware job, but afraid they experimented.
          3. I will let you know if I find a solution.

Hope this answer will reach you, I am going to press the submit button.

Thanks again
          L.J.

Comment

I would try this

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/pur...tructions.aspx

however i am not sure that it will work across different variations of windows if you have Corporate, OEM, Dell OEM, HP OEM, etc....but give it a try

The link above is from MS so I would be more comfortable using it.
            "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Silly question, probably, but have you contacted the shop that did the repair and checked with them.

If they changed too much hardware you may need to re-activate, but you should be able to do that by phone without too many problems. Just tell the MS rep that you have changed the <insert piece of hardware here>

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X