Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.x migrate windows settings

hi,
    ive just been redoing my ghost images, but now everytime a new user logs in a get a pop up message about migrating settings,

any one come across this and know how to get rid of it.

thanks.

Re: 3.x migrate windows settings

Originally posted by ind13
    hi,
    ive just been redoing my ghost images, but now everytime a new user logs in a get a pop up message about migrating settings,

any one come across this and know how to get rid of it.

thanks.
    More info please, OS type for example. What was involved in 'redoing' your ghost images? Is it the result of reimaging a machine? Give us the scenario.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

You can't migrate settings from Windows 3.x I'm amazed that anyone is still using it!

Oh, hang on, perhaps you're using some other operating system? Could you perhaps enlighten us?
      And while you're at it, the version of Ghost would be helpful. Are you restoring images or just creating them?
      What is the general network configuration (must be a workgroup since you're on Win3.x -- right?)
      What is the exact error message?
      What is recorded in the event logs?

Sorry, but you really have to tell us a lot more to get any useful help.

Tom
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd
      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

sorry if i was a bit vaige just thought it might be something someone has come across.

ive attached a screen shot of the popup

i work in a secondary school,
        server2003

ive done a clean install of XP,
        installed a number of programs, saved the image,

i was just testing the image (making sure all the programs work when the students log on)

but every new user that logs on get's this message.

it'll be one of the programs that ive installed that is causing it but theres 30+ programs that have been installed.

i could probably narrow it down to one of the older ones, but i really cant be arsed to start from scrach, install 1 program and test, install next program and test etc

when the user account is created, in the registry it creates a key,
        hkey_current_user\windows 3.1 migration status\ with a couple of sub keys.

ive tried copying this to the
        hkey_users\.default\

but no luck.
        Attached Files

Comment

I thought I was joking when I talked about Windows 3.x but obviously my psychic powers were on today.

As you say, legacy program probably.

I assume that it only appears once, so the easiest way would be to tell the students to click appropriate options and it will go away. If not, you will have to narrow it down to the correct program.

Tom
          Tom Jones
          MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
          PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
          IT Trainer / Consultant
          Ossian Ltd
          Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
          X