Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed up XP login times

Hi all

Hoping you can help me. We run Windows XP SP2 exclusively at work. We don not use roaming user profiles.

What I want to know if, how can you speed up login when a network connection IS NOT present? Therefore the user is using the cached user profile. I have an issue at the moment where is can take up to 5 minutes for a PC/laptop to login when there is no connection present.

Help please!

thanks

mat

Re: Speed up XP login times

Is this for a wireless connection? If so, I've ran into this problem as well. It seems to only happen in a domain environment. I've configured the computers to not establish a network connection before logon but to no avail. The only workaround I've found is to disable the wireless card before shutting down and then re-enable it when needed.

If anyone has a better solution I would love to know what it is. My workaround seems very sloppy to me.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Jeremy - yes the laptops have wireless built in but I have been turning it off via the switch in an effort to speed up login times, to no avail.

I was thinking about creating seperate hardware profiles to disable the network devices, but this still does not help me as most users have wireless or broadband connections at home.

Comment

I should have mentioned that using the hardware switch to turn off the wifi card didn't work for me either. I had to disable the wireless connection through Network Connections.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X