Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clean Install of XP Pro breaks after Windows Update

Hi,

I was asked to prepare a surplus Dell 4500 machine for transfer to a branch office.

I began by deleting the existing windows partition and recreating to ensure a fully clean machine.
    Installed Windows from the original Dell recovery CD, then I installed Service Pack 2.
    On reboot got a message "One of the files containing the system's registry data had tho be recovered from a backup copy. The recovery was successfull'
    All good so far.

Then I went to Windows Update and downloaded and installed 55 outstanding critical updates. Next reboot gives

SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP:0x0000006F (0xC000012D,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Tried booting in Safe Mode, Last Known Good, various other things, same error.

Checking out various web sites I find this error can caused by

1) bad device drivers - not likely here as I haven't installed any
    2) corrupt windows systems files due to virus - again not likely
    3) corrupt windows systems files due to a bad read from the install CD. Possible but system was working earlier so files should have installed ok.
    4) bad memory. I ran a memory test program overnight and it found no errors.
    5) Intermittent hard disk error. I downloaded a hard disk diagnostic program from Maxtor and ran some exhaustive tests against the hard disk. Bloody thing passed them all with flying colours!

So I did a low level format of the drive to ensure its fine and I reinstalled Windows. After install I ran System File Checker to ensure all Windows files are ok.

Install SP2 again. On reboot I got the registry recovery message again

Went to Windows Update. Downloaded critical updates again.
    Message says it couldn't install KB920670 but all others are okay.

Held Breath. Reboot. System appears to boot okay, then gives a message that Windows Genuine Advantage has encountered a problem and needs to close...

Try and start IE - get message "IE has encountered a problem etc ..."

Try and start Windows Explorer. Same problem.

I am wondering if Windows Genuine Advantage has broken things. I am thinking of reinstalling everything but turning off automatic updates which is ironic as I have been trying to convince management that automatic updates are necessary to ensure everyone gets security fixes.

A google on WGA problems has turned up numerous hits but none I find helpful.

Does anyone at Petri have ideas? At least how to confirm that its WGA at fault?

Re: Clean Install of XP Pro breaks after Windows Update

Have you checked the Dell site for any issues.

Since you used the recovery CD, are hardware drivers, bloatware etc all installed automatically or is it XP only.

My personal setup way:
    XP (clean install)
    All device drivers
    AV / AS
    Updates

Maybe try installing updates one at a time?

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by gsaint
      SESSION3_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

STOP:0x0000006F (0xC000012D,0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Install SP2 again. On reboot I got the registry recovery message again.
      First off have you had a look at this KB article for the above mentioned error??

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=153742&sd=RMVP

Second.

You keep getting error messages regarding the regisrtry after th initial instal of SP2. Now i'm assuming that the machine is fine before the instal so could it be worthwhile downloading a fresh copy of SP2 from MS and trying that??

To me it seems that you start getting errors and problems immediately after SP2. This would point me to the problem being SP2.

Its worth a try.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, Wullieb1, I checked that article when the problem first occured. It just told me that system files were corrupted which I didn't find very helpful. I'd like to know just what's caused the problem

My copy of SP2 was downloaded from Petri (where else?) so its surely good. I do have a copy of the Microsoft CD to try if necessary.

Ossian, the Dell site doesn't say anything about this sort of problem. All the machines here are Dell with Windows preinstalled so there are only recovery CD's. Yes, that means bloatware etc is getting installed. I don't have a spare copy of XP to play with.

Anyway, I reinstalled Windows (3rd time), then SP2, creating an ASR disk after each step. I then went to Windows Update and downloaded just three items :

Installer 3.1
        WGA Validsation Tool (KB892130)
        Update KB898461.

Rebooted and got a message "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions." and I was asked to insert the SP2 CD.

Instead of inserting the CD I tried running IE etc to check the system out - looked ok. Then I rebooted - this time no message.

I figured I could afford to experiment so I went to Windows Update and downloaded 5 updates, then five more. System is now broken again - Windows Explorer won't run.

I'll try recovering using ASR and see what happens. Stay tuned.

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Tried again, reinstall windows then SP2. Difference is, this time I used an SP2 CD instead of network install. At first, seemed better. No funny messages about registry settings and system looks all clean.

So I try running Windows Update again and .... IE will not function after reboot.

My theory, for what its worth, is this. The company has been supplying staff with Dell machines with Windows preinstalled. As people leave and machines get swapped the install CD's get mixed up. So the install CD I'm using may not be for the 4500 but for a slightly different model. The CD doesn't list intended model so there's no way to be sure. This, I suggest, is enough to get WGA upset.

So Windows is getting reinstalled again and the system is being delivered with Windows Update turned off.

Thanks everyone who contributed this.

Comment

Originally posted by gsaint
            So Windows is getting reinstalled again and the system is being delivered with Windows Update turned off.
            You'll need some method of patching the computers. Sending out the computer when it does not have up-to-date patches means that it is a security risk for the network. Obviously it's your stuff and your company is paying you to maintain the computers but, IMHO, I don't think it is a wise move to use that computer.

You can go to Dell's site and download the latest drivers for whatever system you have. (just punch in the service tag number at http://support.dell.com/support/down...=us&l=en&s=gen) Also, instead of going to Windows Update and installing 5 patches at a time, install only one at a time. You can then narrow it down to a specific patch and troubleshoot that one thing.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I have to agree with JeremyW on this gsaint.

Personally if I had these probs I'd use disk kill first to ensure the disk is clean.
              you can get a free copy here http://www.killdisk.com/ At least you'll know there is nothing else on the disk that should not be there.

Off the network: Try again using a CD install if that worked then SP2 etc. If all stayed stable then use your network install

GL
              The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
              ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
              X