Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Admin can't delete files from network drive

Hi,

We are running Small Bus Server 2003 with AD, clients all XP Pro with SP2, logging on with Novell Client.

I recently logged on to a user's machine (as that machine's normal user) and copied all her files up to a network drive for later transfer to a new computer.
    The files have been transferred okay and now I'd like to remove the old ones from the network drive.

So I logon to the domain as Admin (a member of the Administrators Group), go to the network drive and it will not allow me to delete the files as I don't have permission. Clicking on properties and effective permissions it says that Admin has Full Control. It will not allow me to take ownership as I can't type in to the Current Owner.

I can always get the user to delete the files for me so this isn't a big deal but I'd like to understand just what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance

Re: Admin can't delete files from network drive

Is the network share on a Windows computer that's a member of the domain?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, its on the File & Print Server

Comment

Have you checked the share permissions?
        Server 2000 MCP
        Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Just because your an administrator doesn't automatically grant you the permission to delete the files and folders.

On the network share you will need to check you have the correct permissions to delete the file/folder.

On your NTFS permissions you will also need to checl and make sure tht you have the correct permissions to delete the file/folder.

Once you have checked these then post your findings and we will help you set the permissions.

Comment

May have found it. I'm admin on Domain Controller but network drive is on File and Print Server. I'll try adding myself to admins on that machine and see what happens.

Comment

If your admin privileges come from being in the Domain Admins group then you should look into the share permissions like wullieb said since the Domain Admins group is added to the local Administrators group when you join a computer to the domain.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

You could always post a screenie of your ACL lists if you are still stuck.
                Server 2000 MCP
                Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X