ie7 error saving changes to runonce settings

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ie7 error saving changes to runonce settings

Hello to all,

I recently installed IE7 Beta 3. It is pretty cool but I had the following issue. Each time I would start IE7, it would ask me the same questions on the runonce homepage. I would answer the questions (phishing filter, language, and participation in the microsoft feedback program) and try to save the changes. It would tell me that it had an error saving the changes or applying the settings. I also tried the option to not show this page again. I tried to change my homepage too with no luck.

I downloaded the attached reg hack from the following link that magically fixed this problem:

I wanted to share this with everyone else in case you have this problem as well.

I like Firefox but it has periodic issues with certain web pages. I had a few other issues with it too so I thought I would try the new tabbed browsing in ie7. It is pretty cool.

Attached Files
    David Davis - Petri Forums Moderator & Video Training Author
    Train Signal - The Global Leader in IT Video Training - Free IT Training Products
    Personal Websites: &

Re: ie7 error saving changes to runonce settings

Thanks for sharing the information David. Although i also installed ie7beta3 i did not have any errors yet. .....We will see...running betas you will always expect anything to occur.

The same problem which I suffer, I hate it.
      thank U very much.
      May God bless U.

deyamag, please ask a question!!! and give details with it.

btw... only reply to 'stickies' in the forums if you think it can bring new light on the topic, else start a own new thread.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        ie7 error saving changes to runonce settings

check the following 2 registry items of the current user:
        - "RunOnceHasShown" (<- prevent the IE setup page)
        - "RunOnceComplete" (<- prevent the MSN runonce homepage)
        Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main]
        [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter]
        ;  0 = phishingfilter off
        ;  1 = filter on - disable automatic website check
        ;  2 = filter on - enableble automatic website check
        configure GPO; User configuration\administrative templates\windows components\Internet explorer
        -> "Prevents performance of the First Run settings"
        -> "Turn off Managing Phising filter"

OR, check this

(If that does not help, check if the registrykey might be damaged or has wrong permissions.
        Or.. check if one of the 2 IE 'RunOnce..' items might exist in the same subkey under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE )

Registry Changes, howto...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
        and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts