Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating GHOST Server

Hi Everybody,

In the company i work with, we need to deploy images over a daily basis.
    We only use images with HD to HD solution, or from DVD Image.
    We NEVER used a network method, and i decided to give it a try.
    the GHOST 2003 Boot Wizard did not really work for me, and i really want to hear from some one how did he make a GHOST server, with a few images on the server, and a Bootable Network CD (or floppy) so he can deploy and recieve the images over the network.

Thanks a lot,
    Retaliator
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Creating GHOST Server

I use Ghost Corporate so it will probably work a bit different to what you have and I have never use Ghost 2003 Boot Wizard.

To start with RIS (Remote Installation Server) is installed on the server, and then Ghost is installed after that. We then PXE boot the client and ghost a Console Partition to the client. Ghost now shows up in Ghost Console and all the installations are handled from there. Configurations are created for each client and when the main image is deployed, Ghost Console finishes by changing the clients names and joining the client onto the Domain. I haven't used the deployment part of Ghost yet but that allows you to deploy applications to the clients without having to create a new image and redeploy.

That was just a very brief overview of Ghost Corporate. Does anyone have any experience with Ghost 2003 that they could share with Retaliator?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi and thanks for the response,

is not RIS used to remotely install an OS from scratch? not like a real Ghost Image?
      i installed RIS on a test DC now, it's not likely good as a ghost image.
      Correct me if i am wrong,

Retaliator
      Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Yes, that was the intention of RIS and it works very well to.

But in my situation, RIS is solely used to get a PXE session established with the server. That way no need to drag a floopy or CD and have to boot from them (or worse, go into the BIOS and set it to boot from CD first).

The Ghost image is still made on the target hardware platform and then saved to the server (in Ghost format). This too can be done through the Ghost Console once a Ghost Client has been installed on the target machine.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

We follow the same principle as Biggles77.

We have our machine create a PXE session with the RIS server. Once connected to the RIS server we pull a WinPE image and run ghost32 then we load the .gho file to the machine.

Another option is to create your own bootable network floppy. Connect to a share on the server via DOS and use ghost to load the image.

It sounds quite complicated but it isn't.

Comment

I have used this method before in the past with success.

I create a share called ghost on the server I want to hold the images. In this folder, I put in ghost.exe and ghost.env that were extracted through the installation process. In most cases, I will uninstall the Ghost package immediately after I grab those two files I just mentioned and put them exactly where I want them.

After you have your share setup called ghost and those two files dropped in that share, I will then create a folder called images in that shared folder.

Follow the directions on building a bootdisk on

http://www.netbootdisk.com/building.htm

Once you have built your bootdisk, open up the disk and edit your LMHOSTS file to recognize the server that will house the ghost images.

Then edit the Net Use command in the logon.bat file to connect to the server and the ghost share and execute the ghost command.

example:

net use Z: \\bunionhead\ghost
            Z:
            ghost.exe

(Optional) I will hardstrap my network card (100mb) in the ProtoADD file by entering the settings of:

Duplex=full
            Speed=100

Now boot up the pc you would like to image with the bootdisk you just created.

Follow the prompts and configure all of your settings to reflect your network card, computer name, etc. and you should be all set.

Enjoy!

Comment

One thing to note with the Net Boot Disk is that it will not connect to a Windows Server 2003 share without wrecking the security policy (check here for more info)

I tend to use it with an XP share and have had no problems ghosting machines this way.

Tom
              Tom Jones
              MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
              IT Trainer / Consultant
              Ossian Ltd
              Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Ossian,

Thanks for the heads up, I should have been more clear in stating that I have used this method on Win2k servers in the past.

Comment

Hello folks,

IMHO, if Ghost Virtual Boot Partition is used, RIS PXE is not needed at all. Everything can be done from the beautiful Ghost server console: client installation, reboot, PXE boot, image deployment, software deployment. The largest amount of clients that I've ghosted at the same time from the console was 300; ofcourse the speed was capped in order to avoid Ghost bringing down the network. Please give Ghost virtual partition a try, I promise you will love it. Ref: Google: Ghost Virtual Boot Partition.

In response to netbootdisk, using it means going with manual method, we can accomplish the deployment task without running ghost off a server share; ghost will be run off the CD. Here's the instruction from netbootdisk.com user's forum:

1. Format a floppy with winXP as system disk
                  2. In the netbootdisk setup files, there is a autoexec.bat , make note
                  of what the "set CDdrive=R" sets the CDdrive to ( usually R )
                  3. Edited logon.bat ( in the filecopy folder ), added at the bottom :
                  R:\Ghost.exe ( remember the set CDdrive=R directive ? use the same
                  drive )
                  4. Used the makedisk.bat script
                  5. Booted with the disk once, change the settings to a 5 seconds
                  delay, enabled cdrom , udma, and mouse support, changed logon script
                  to : logon.bat

6. Made a bootable cd with Nero, using the A drive as source of image,
                  AND added the ghost.exe file in the data part of the cdrom.
                  7. burned, booted with cdrom, letted go through and the ghost application
                  started up

Regards,

Bradley
                  Teamwork

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                    Yes, that was the intention of RIS and it works very well to.

But in my situation, RIS is solely used to get a PXE session established with the server. That way no need to drag a floopy or CD and have to boot from them (or worse, go into the BIOS and set it to boot from CD first).

The Ghost image is still made on the target hardware platform and then saved to the server (in Ghost format). This too can be done through the Ghost Console once a Ghost Client has been installed on the target machine.
                    Biggles77, How come you don't need floppy or CD on the target machine ?
                    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA

Comment

Originally posted by azmantek
                      Hello folks,

IMHO, if Ghost Virtual Boot Partition is used, RIS PXE is not needed at all.
                      Mmmm, try that on a brand new machine with no O/S.
                      Yes, I know what you are saying and yes you are right.

Ever had problems where the virtual partition wouldn't install?

Retaliator (sorry, slight deviation from your post).

PXE is the reason for no boot floppy or CD. The link I supplied is only a small read. Come back if that doesn't answer your question.
                      Last edited by biggles77; 3rd August 2006, 13:04.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Thanks a lot everybody
                        Retaliator
                        Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA