Two Windows XP on same computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Windows XP on same computer

Can I install two copies of Windows XP Pro SP2 on my personal computer?

I want to use one for gaming and another for generic use.

Thanks.

Re: Two Windows XP on same computer

No problem -- just read some of the links here to see what to do

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by similpelle
      Can I install two copies of Windows XP Pro SP2 on my personal computer?

I want to use one for gaming and another for generic use.

Thanks.
      Or you could use Virtual PC for non gaming. If you screw it up then it is a little easier to recover from.
      Server 2000 MCP
      Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by tonyyeb
        Or you could use Virtual PC for non gaming. If you screw it up then it is a little easier to recover from.
        I could be wrong but he probably wants something stripped down for gaming so having to turn on a bunch of services every time he wants to use his "regular" computer might not be ideal. He might not even want AV on his gaming OS. Just a thought.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
          I could be wrong but he probably wants something stripped down for gaming so having to turn on a bunch of services every time he wants to use his "regular" computer might not be ideal. He might not even want AV on his gaming OS. Just a thought.
          Hmm having no AV is a bad idea in ANY environment. What he might want to do is have AV but exclude the directories of his games. I run Sophos on my PC (full read detection turned on) and play games and turning it off or on does not even have 1 fps difference in COD 2, Battlefield 2 or Live for Speed.

He can have all the services turned off that he doesn't need. As far as i am aware, Virtual PC is an Application (ie doesn't run as a service) where as Virtual Server does run as a service. Have his gaming PC as the host and his 'office' pc as the guest.

It seems a little odd in this day to want to have a 'cut down' version of your OS for games only. Keep your HD defragged, maybe write a batch file that turns off any unwanted services and then fire up your game. Even better, if he is serious about gaming, save all the time and buy more memory - going to 2GB on my PC made a HUGE DIFF! And at only 49! Thank you very much!
          Server 2000 MCP
          Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Virtual PC is an Application (ie doesn't run as a service)
            And it's now free

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/vir...loads/sp1.mspx

Michael
            Michael Armstrong
            www.m80arm.co.uk
            MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

Comment

BTW - I'm not a gamer so I'll defer to you.
              Hmm having no AV is a bad idea in ANY environment.
              Exactly. I'm not recommending no AV, I just know a gamer who doesn't run any. (I've tried convincing him to put some on)
              Virtual PC is an Application (ie doesn't run as a service)
              Ah, didn't know that.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It is like a friend of mine who was on the internet - no firewall, no AV, no antispam nothing!!

I installed zone alarm and saw he had 60 attempts at hacks on his pc within about 5 mins! How it had lasted upto that point i have no idea!

My advice is, if your pc can't run AV and other tasks (like games) then it is time to invest in your pc!
                Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Ok thanks anyone for giving support.

I think Tom's answer is what I was looking for although I had to visit some Google links to find something similar to what I need.

Virtual PC? No thanks tonyyeb, I believe that my system will slow down. Also I already tried some gaming utilities which turn off useless Windows XP services, but when I need some of them for generic use and so I go back to the original status, I will have to go to msconfig and check again which service do I need, so boring. I already have 1GB memory, pretty much. Could you please suggest me that batch file code for gaming and another to go back to original status?

And JeremyW is right, if anytime I have to turn on "gaming services", well I will feel bothered and tired. What is AV?

No sorry Michael, no Virtual PC, does not it slow down my system? And please do not act as Bill Gates by saying it does not.

My system: Abit NF7; Athlon 2400; 1GB ram; 1 hard disk Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm; 1 hard disk Western 80 GB 7200 rpm. Enough for gaming, isn't?

Thanks anyone.

Antonio.

Comment

What is AV?
                    Anti Virus Software -- the first thing you install on a new PC

Tom
                    Tom Jones
                    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                    IT Trainer / Consultant
                    Ossian Ltd
                    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

What is AV?
                      Well Google defines AV as "a cluster of cells between the atria and ventricles that regulate the electrical current." But that's just the first definition.

My system: Abit NF7; Athlon 2400; 1GB ram; 1 hard disk Seagate 160GB 7200 rpm; 1 hard disk Western 80 GB 7200 rpm. Enough for gaming, isn't?
                      How 'bout a couple of SCSI drives and RAID 0? That'll be fast and expensive.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Western Digital Raptors. The poor man's SCSI!!
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I still don't see the point in running two installs then? What problems will running games and an office install together??
                          Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                          X