Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• very odd Folder sharing problem

Hello all

I have been trying to sort this problem out for days no with no luck. Any advice is apreciated.

My situation is this. I have a computer (a) that has a folder on it I wish to share only with a specific group on our LAN. I created the group on this machine (a) and assigned full permissions to the folder for that group. I then logged in from the other cpus (b,c,d,e) using the user names and passwords I set up. I set these "client" machines up the same way. The problem is that two of the (b,c )machines prompt me for the user and password when I acces the share via the workgroup and I gain access and the other two(d,e) go straight into the root where I see the folder I wish to access and the shared printer icon. When I try to access the folder I get access denied error msg. Then today the share is totally inaccessible. Any one know what's going on here? I am using win xp pro on all machines with simple file sharing disabled and all latest updates installed. I have read and googled and read some more. Help please this is very frustrating.

Thanks

Adam

Re: very odd Folder sharing problem

Do you have passwords configured on the accounts? Have you configured both NTFS and share permissions?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I believe so. I have gone into the properties of that folder and allowed acces for the group. Two of the members can access the folders contents and two cannot so I believe that I have set it up correctly.

Thanks

Adam

Comment

Forgot to add,
        one of the comps that cannot login has a pasword and the other doesn't but both can't login to the share???????????????????

Comment

I'd configure all the accounts to have passwords and make sure that computer (a) has exact duplicates of the user accounts that will be accessing the folder. Also, on the folder check the Effective Permissions to make sure NTFS permissions are setup correctly (Security tab -> Advanced -> Effective Permissions tab)
          Regards,
          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Checked the effective permissions for all users of the group and they all have full control. Computer a has exact dupes of the user accounts. Still not working. Do you know if simple file sharing was enabled if there is something in the registry that enables access. it seems odd that i can see whats in the shared folder without having to log in to the share.

Thanks

Adam

Comment

ads7,

You do need to have passwords for all the accounts I think I know what's going on here but just need you to answer 1.

1) Did you set up this workgroup or was it already created?
              If the answer is YES you did create the workgroup...Was it created before you turned off simple file sharing with the Network file sharing wizard?

Thinking that this behavior is occurring b/c some of the computers were joined to the workgroup through the Network file sharing wizard which has a couple of options that could effect the outcome of accessing the shared folder and how the permissions were transparently applied.

The other computers were joined to the workgroup manually through the properties of the "My computer" | Computer name| by clicking the change button.

I suggest reading this KB for more information.
              kbid=295017
              Last edited by itpro; 14th July 2006, 05:16.
              ITPro
              MCSE, CCNA

Comment

Yes I created the workgroup but others joined with simple file sharing enabled. I am trying to sort thru it computer by computer so the short answer is yes to question 1. I will have a read and get it sorted out. I will post back with the results.

Thanks that helps a lot

Adam

Comment

The article described what I already know. I think because my answer to q 1 was yes, you can help. Waiting for your thoughts IT Pro

Thanks.

Adam

Comment

Simple File Sharing is enabled by default on Windows XP Professional systems that are members of a workgroup rather than a domain. There are no passwords or access restrictions so my recommendation is to...

First ensure simple file sharing is disabled on all machines and this will prevent them from trying to join the workgroup with the ridiculous and counterintuitive wizard provided in XP.

Second create the same exact user accounts and passwords that they use to log on their machines on the XP box that will be hosting the shared folder. You should create the accounts yourself to make sure it gets done right.

Third, make sure all computers are part of the same workgroup that you created by using the change button under the computer name tab. Again you should go ahead and do this on all the computers.

Finally, start sharing from scratch; meaning stop sharing and recreate the share by giving the folder a new sharename. Set the NTFS permissions and Share permissions that you require assuming you understand the NTFS and Share permissions combined.

--
                    Last edited by itpro; 15th July 2006, 00:08.
                    ITPro
                    MCSE, CCNA

Comment

Thanks will do. Sorry for late reply, our office was burgled and I lost my laptop.

Adam

Comment

Working...
                      X