Synchronization problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synchronization problem

After replacing our only server (dc) on our LAN, we found that the workstations that originally had file synchronization set to a particular shared drive now continue to try to reach the same...but now nonexistent... "G:" drive. Obviously the synching keeps failing. The thing is that I cannot find any settings on this synchronize engine that will allow me to redirect it to the new shared "R:' drive.

I prefer not to change letters (& create alot of hassle) just to follow the old setting. These workstations are piling up quite a few new/modified files offline.

The synchronize is microsoft's that found in the 'accessories' start menu item.

Can I uninstall/reinstall this? If so, will this affect the offline files in any way?

Thanks for your input!

this is why you use the unc path to the drive and not a mapped letter.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

please explain setting location

I stepped into this situation, not seeing how this was originally set up....It only shows the "LAN CONNECTION' and a tree 'for my documents' to be checked. I understand what you mean by mapping it with unc & not a drive letter, but please describe where I may go to change the path.

Thanks!!

Comment

Re: please explain setting location

Originally posted by mgarbinski
        I stepped into this situation, not seeing how this was originally set up....It only shows the "LAN CONNECTION' and a tree 'for my documents' to be checked. I understand what you mean by mapping it with unc & not a drive letter, but please describe where I may go to change the path.

Thanks!!
        To my knowledge there is no way to edit the sychronization task. You're most likely going to have to recreate it, but when doing browse the disk using the unc path and choose to sync the folder. This way when it shows the task in the sync applcation it will show the unc path not the drive letter.
        Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

check the Properties tab for folder that in sinc

and any maped drives in "My Computer" folder

Plus , you can check the breefcase properties and Task Manager
          (maybe Sinc is done by these items)

if you find the mapping on drive , or command line for Sinc,use UNC path

UNC path stricture:
          \\%computer%\%share%\%directory%(if needed)
          на клеточном уровне я очень занят

Comment

Group Policy

Another way in which a sync of the My Docs folder happens can be through Group Policy (GP) in Active Directory (AD). When the policy is established, there is a setting that will cause the My Documents folders to remain in the redirected location even if the policy is removed. We have noticed that the sync remains persistent even if the policy is removed--it doesn't simply leave the contents in the redirected location. The policy should be modified and a full backup of the users' My Docs folders should be completed before removing the policy. Here's how to check if such a GP is in effect. In AD, find the Organizational Unit (OU) where the users reside. Right-click the OU and choose Properties. The properties window has 3 tabs--click on the GP tab. Look in User Configuration\Windows Settings\Folder Redirection. Right-click the My Documents folder and choose Properties. The Target tab is selected by default. Look at the setting field on the Target tab. If the setting is "Basic--Redirect everyone's folder to the same location" or "Advanced--Specify locations for various user groups," then GP is directing your sync. Also look at the target folder location--a UNC path should be specified rather than a drive mapping. HOWEVER, if a drive mapping was used, before you change to a UNC path you must look at the Settings tab! Click on the Settings tab and look at policy removal. There are only two options. We have seen that if you remove the GP and "Leave the folder in the new location when policy is removed" is selected, than the data will remain at the redirected location AND the sync will remain persistent. We have decided to live with the sync and have not tested the alternative setting. My fear is that data could be lost. At the minimum, a full backup should be in place before any attempt at GP modification. Also, I believe the GP "removal policy" should be edited a few days in advance of any other edits. If you have any XP-Pro clients on your network, there can be a delay of up to two logins before GP is successfully applied. You want to make sure that the newly edited removal policy is fully in place before you continue. Good luck--hope this was of some help.

Comment

Working...
            X