Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WIN XP PRo - BIOS keeps loosing its memory =>NTLDR is missing

Hello Guys,
    I know the title is too common but please be patient and read on... and I hope this is the appropriate forum?!?!
    A couple of months ago I had a fault with Office Outlook 2003 and posted a question in the Outlook 2003 section (see the link: http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=7905. I got some really good answers and had the problem solved!
    Thing is - I keep getting the same thing again and again, so I keep fixing it - Had to do it 4 times since!
    I started suspecting a Virus or something similiar, but could not find any thing .
    One thing lead to another - now my Bios keeps loosing itself and does not detect my Primary Master Drive
    I thought there was something wrong mechanically with my machine, too much dust, fans not working, P/S failure - but no - all the fans are working, P/S is OK (also electrically), had the whole machine cleaned from dust..air pressure.... I had the bios re-flashed with the latest version, and NADA

My OS is WIN XP Pro SP2, continuousely updated.

I have 5 or 6 different protection softwares constantly updated and daily monitoring my system:
    Norton System Works & Norton Internet Security 2006,
    MS Deffender,
    Spy Bot ,
    System Mechanic Pro 5,
    AdAware SE Pro,
    and they did not detect a thing?!?!?!

My M/B is an ASUS P4S8X-X and my Bios version is P4S8X-X Beta BIOS 1005.001
    I have a PCI SATA controller installed - SiL 3112A SATARaid BIOS Version 4.2.47- and a Sil 0680 ATA/133 Medley RAID Controller BIOS Version 3.2.04.
    I have 2 ATA 133 HDD's (160 & 120 Gb) and 1 SATA HDD (250 Gb) - The SATA is the Primary Master. Trying to find faults or conflicts with those controllers utilites (applying F4 & F3 respectively) - I get no errors!
    My CPU is an INTEL P4 1.8 Ghz, and I have 1Gb RAM,
    I'd appreciate any comment and idea as to the right way to solve my problem!!

Re: WIN XP PRo - BIOS keeps loosing its memory =>NTLDR is missing

Check, and if necessary change, your motherboard battery. This is probably the explanation for losing BIOS settings.

Once thats out of the way the other problems will hopefully clear up.

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello Tom,
      Thanks - I'll do that and let you know...

Comment

Tom?
        Changed the battery - had a fresh one at home...
        The Bios seems to be OK (how can I tell?) , But it still does not detect the Primary drive ...Can it be something with the SATA / IDE Controller card's BIOS? I tried to locate their source but with no results...Can a virus or some similiar harmware cause this to happen?

Comment

Is the drive picked up in another machine???

What happens if you plug a new drive into the same IDE slot??

Usually when your drive fails in the BIOS it is goosed.

Comment

Have you updated your BIOS -- since you say the BIOS version includes "BETA" you may have!

Check for the latest non-beta BIOS and consider reflashing to that.

BTW, can you boot to a floppy or CD-ROM?

Tom
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by MiniSun
              But it still does not detect the Primary drive
              how can you tell?
              does it not show up in the BIOS at all?
              are you receiving some error message at system start?
              are the cables and jumpers set correctly?

as for "NTLDR is missing" this is probably because the system is trying to boot from the partition which is not holding the ntldr file. when setting up a multiboot system the ntldr is located on either the system or the boot partition.
              unfortunately i keep mixing up which one is system and which one is boot...
              Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Hello Guys - sorry I could not answer sooner....
                Tom - I 've flashed the M/B with the most recent version I found in ASUS Support site, But I'll try your suggestion and re-flash it to a previouse version. Let you know the results...
                Wullie - I hope to god your suspicions are wrong! I'll try the HDD on a different machine later and let you know
                Chris - When the PC boots up , when it comes to part where it lists all the system components - it shows something like "primary master - not detected" (I don't remember the accurate phrase)
                Now people - suppose we manage to fix it one way or the other, what is the cause for this phenomenon? What must I do to prevent the whole event from occuring again?

Comment

Originally posted by MiniSun
                  When the PC boots up , when it comes to part where it lists all the system components - it shows something like "primary master - not detected" (I don't remember the accurate phrase)
                  i think it's time to get out the screw driver, open the box and check the jumper settings on the HDDs and CD/DVD drives as well as the cables they are attached to.
                  Yesterday we stood at the edge of the abyss. Today we are a step further...

Comment

Working...
                  X