No announcement yet.

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sysprep

i did a practice on sysprep at my home lab.
    I installed XP on a computer, then run setupmgr to create the answer file. then, i go to C:\sysprep folder and modify the sysprep.inf. I delete the "XYZ" value in the "Computername=XYZ" so that mini setup will ask me what the computer name is. It works fine: ask me the computer name, and then join the computer with the name i typed in to the domain with the admin password i created in setupmgr.
    Just a thought....if i have 1000 machine, not 1 like in my home lab, i dont want to sit there to type in the computer name manually 1000 times when asked by mini-setup...also, i dont want to make 1000 floppies to insert to the computer to provide the sysprep.inf file.
    What do i need to do so that when I image 1000 machines by (for example) Ghost, it will name a machine for me? I heard...someone said somewhere Ghost Console can do this ... ?? not quite sure ....?? Anyone knows how? just a thought when doing the practice.

Ghost Corporate Edition (or is that Enterprise edition?) can do it.
    But you can script the creation of sysprep answer files or use the "auto" in the computer name value:
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

you are my hero
      thanks a lot !
      just a small question : can i specify a predefined computer name rule like: COMP-X
      where X will be genarated by sysprep ?
      PS: the "auto" switch is wonderful !

It's been a while, but I believe that you can achieve what you want with RIS. Not sure sysprep can generate computer names the way you like.

I know that Ghost does it, but it does cost extra $$$.
        Guy Teverovsky
        "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"