PC is not receiving IP adress from a computer that has enabled ICS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC is not receiving IP adress from a computer that has enabled ICS

i am having a small LAN (1 computer that runs WinXP Pro SP2 and 4 computers that run Win2000Pro)

PC that acts as router for ICS runs WinXP SP2.
    win2000Pro computers automatically receive IP addresses from this one that runs XP Pro. ICS works fine. all 4 w2k computers can browse internet and receive e-mail and everything...

now!

new computer arrives!
    it runs WinXP Pro SP2.

i hooked it to the network, set its network card to receive IP automatically, but it DOES NOT RECEIVE VALID IP ADDRESS.

i can see exclamation mark over LAN connection icon and Limited or no connectivity as Connection status. the IP that the new PC receive is from from APIPA range (169.254.x.x)

when i set static IP address (from valid range), network card gets alive, but it can not contact any other machine on the network.
    firewall is off everywhere.

win2000 computers work fine all the time. i even tried direct connection between w2k PC and this new WIN XP through crossover cable, with fixed IP adresses, and it worked without problems.

when i returned computers back to network, again, i had the same problem. this new WinXP simply won't communicate with the rest of network.

i am simply stucked here without ideas.

any help?

regards
    danac

danac
    BL

Re: PC is not receiving IP adress from a computer that has enabled ICS

Is the XP running NTFS file system?

Comment

Have you checked that the network cable is working correctly? If you have "Limited or no connectivity" then it looks like either the cable is faulty or not inserted.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
        Have you checked that the network cable is working correctly? If you have "Limited or no connectivity" then it looks like either the cable is faulty or not inserted.
        Faulty is more likely. If it's not inserted then XP won't even attempt to get an IP address dynamically or assign one from the APIPA range.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

The solution was so trivial that it limits with stupidity!

Crossover cable solved the problem. Everything works fine.

I am still confused about this, especially because all cables are perfectly all right (no fault cables). Moreover, as I mentioned in my original message NIC was in Limited or no connectivity Connection status only when set to automatic IP addressing (through DHCP) but the very moment I set it with fixed IP address it declares status: connected.
          And yes, according to the manual the switch is one of those smart devices that recognizes straight and cross over cables. Eventually, it does not.

Nevertheless, I propose to close this episode and to never mention it again!

Best regards to all

danac
          BL

Comment

I know it is now working, but did you try connecting to a different port? It may be that you have a faulty port and if this is the case it would be wise mark the port as such. Will save confusion in the future.
            1 1 was a racehorse.
            2 2 was 1 2.
            1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
            2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by danac
              I am still confused about this, especially because all cables are perfectly all right (no fault cables). Moreover, as I mentioned in my original message NIC was in Limited or no connectivity Connection status only when set to automatic IP addressing (through DHCP) but the very moment I set it with fixed IP address it declares status: connected.
              You should note that when the status is connected, it does not mean that the cable is not faulty or that you're not connected to a bad port, only that the settings in your TCP/IP stack are "filled" out (for lack of a better term) and it senses that there is a connection of some kind.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
              Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
              www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

it is brand new D-link switch, unpacked from the box. ok, i know that shit happens all the time.
                therefore, yes i checked several ports, with the same result.

danac
                BL

Comment

Working...
                X