Windows XP Home Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Home Edition

My PC crashed and when I reboot I get the page with the options to start in safe mode etc. I cannot reboot from any of the options and when I try I get the same page back in front of me. I have tried recovery console and when I get the option to type administrator password this also fails. I have never used any admin password and after three attempts I am asked to press enter and my Pc starts over again. I cannot reinstall windows XP either because when I am asked to press the F8 key to accept the disclaimer nothing happens. Can anyone advise me on what to do?

Re: Windows XP Home Edition

Do you have a wireless keyboard or a late model Microsoft one?
    Have you actually tried typing a password or did you press ENTER when prompted for a password?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Yes I do have a microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse. I pressed enter 3 times then I was informed that I must press enter again to restart.
      My PC supplier informed me that they do not use admin passwords when installing software such as XP.

Comment

Try pressing the F Lock key (it is just above the Num Lock on my keyboard) BEFORE you press F8.
        Your PC Supplier is a twit. ALWAYS use a password on ANY account, especially the Administrator account. The more complex the better. At least 8 characters with Uppercase, Lowercase and Numeric characters and remember it.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
          Your PC Supplier is a twit. ALWAYS use a password on ANY account, especially the Administrator account. The more complex the better. At least 8 characters with Uppercase, Lowercase and Numeric characters and remember it.
          Biggles,
          That's not quite true what you say.
          XP in a workgroup running on the administrator account with no passwords is much more secure.

quote from microsoft:
          http://www.microsoft.com/athome/secu.../password.mspx
          The "blank password" option
          A blank password (no password at all) on your account is more secure than a weak password such as "1234". Criminals can easily guess a simplistic password, but on computers using Windows XP, an account without a password cannot be accessed remotely by means such as a network or the Internet. (This option is not available for Microsoft Windows 2000, Windows Me, or earlier versions) You can elect to use a blank password on your computer account if these criteria are met:

You only have one computer or you have several computers but you do not need to access information on one computer from another one

The computer is physically secure (you trust everyone who has physical access to the computer)

The use of a blank password is not always a good idea. For example, a laptop computer that you take with you is probably not physically secure, so on those you should have a strong password.
          Also, try using runas and enter administrator as the logon account. He always ask for a password and blank passwords are not allowed.
          Marcel
          Technical Consultant
          Netherlands
          http://www.phetios.com
          http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
          "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
          "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Hi
            Thanks for your replies but I still have the problem.
            Any ideas on how to get into my PC without admin password.?

Comment

Try pressing the F Lock key (it is just above the Num Lock on my keyboard) BEFORE you press F8.
              Did you try using the F Lock suggestion?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Did you try using the F Lock suggestion?
                Yes the F lock worked and I could then use F8. Thanks
                I still need to find out how to get into the recovery console as I am asked 3 times for admin password and then I have to reboot by pressing enter. I have never used a admin password so why do I have this problem?
                When I use my XP home edition CD to try and repair I do not get the repair option. I am shown the C drive [partition] and asked if I want to delete the OS and reinstall windows and lose all my files etc.
                When I reboot I get the Windows XP screen then nothing after.
                Any ideas?

Comment

Remove HDD from case, take it to a mate PC and copy the data off your HDD. Burn to CD or DVD. Then replace HDD back into your case and run a clean install.

I think this is going to be the easiest way to solve your problem and have you back on your PC in the quickest time. When doing a clean install make a note of the Recovery Password and put it in a safe location.
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Remove HDD from case, take it to a mate PC and copy the data off your HDD. Burn to CD or DVD. Then replace HDD back into your case and run a clean install.

I think this is going to be the easiest way to solve your problem and have you back on your PC in the quickest time. When doing a clean install make a note of the Recovery Password and put it in a safe location.
                    Well done and thaks for your help. I did what you suggested and I am now up and running.
                    Thanks again

Comment

Excellent, well done!!
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                      X