new rig! but windows won't install completely

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new rig! but windows won't install completely

ok, I am building a system, like a lot of others are, based on the Pentium 805 d with plans of overclocking the heck out of the thing.

I have an Asus P5WD2-E Deluxe board with OCZ gold 6400 ram (2gb), The HD that I am installing onto is a plain Western Digital IDE 40gb. I didn't buy a PCIx video card yet, so I threw in an old FX5200 PCI card.

Now, the problem and using http://www.petri.com/install_windows_xp_pro.htm as a point of reference:
    When I install XP Pro, it gets to step 11, it doesn't go into graphical mode. It restarts but nothing happens after that, the screen is blank and the monitor acts like there is no video signal going to it (the LED is orange, not green).
    Last edited by unsquare; 16th June 2006, 23:12.

Re: new rig! but windows won't install completely

Originally posted by unsquare
    ok, I am building a system, like a lot of others are, based on the Pentium 805 d with plans of overclocking the heck out of the thing.

I have an Asus P5WD2-E Deluxe board with OCZ gold 6400 ram (2gb), The HD that I am installing onto is a plain Western Digital IDE 40gb. I didn't buy a PCIx video card yet, so I threw in an old 7600 PCI card.

Now, the problem and using http://www.petri.com/install_windows_xp_pro.htm as a point of reference:
    When I install XP Pro, it gets to step 11, it doesn't go into graphical mode. It restarts but nothing happens after that, the screen is blank and the monitor acts like there is no video signal going to it (the LED is orange, not green).
    In your BIOS is set to primary video of PCI-X or PCI? I would look at borrowing a PCI-X VGA Card and i bet after a reinstall it will work.
    Server 2000 MCP
    Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

OK, sorted out the video signal by using a PCIx card instead. Still a similar issue though. When I expect to see the Windows logo I get the message "A disk read error has occurred. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart."

I have tried two different hard drives and reinstalled several times.
      I checked the jumpers...all seems to be in order.

does this sound like something obvious?

Comment

There should no jumpers on the WD if it is the Master.
        Is the BIOS boot order set correctly?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

bios boot order is floppy, CD, HDD

I thought that the middle pins were correct in WD drives if they are the master.
          http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc....i=&p_topview=1

It is on the same ribbon as the CD drive. I have the CD set to slave. Is that not correct?

Comment

I thought that the middle pins were correct in WD drives if they are the master.

It is on the same ribbon as the CD drive. I have the CD set to slave. Is that not correct?
            Try putting the CD on the secondary IDE channel and leave the hard drive by itself on the primary. Also any chance of getting a different model HD?
            Server 2000 MCP
            Development: ASP, ASP.Net, PHP, VB, VB.Net, MySQL, MSSQL - Check out my blog http://tonyyeb.blogspot.com

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yes, totally correct. I made a mistake and assumed the HDD was on one IDE channel and the CD was on the second IDE channel.

I agree with Tonyyeb's suggestion and also, when you installed XP, did you do a Quick format or a full format. If the drive has bad sectors then the Quick format won't pick them up. A full format of the HDD should detect bad sectors and will map them out assuming (there's that word again) there are any unmapped sectors free. If XP was installed onto dodgy parts of the HDD then it could be a reason for the "disk read error".
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

If I put the two on different IDE channels, I can't see them both. I feel like an idiot.

The board has a Marvel IDE connector and an ICH7R IDE connector.
                The Marvel is for a Ultra ATA 133/100/66 signal cable and does not support ATAPI devices. This is where I currently have the IDE HDD (80GB Western Digital, I also tried a WD 40GB)
                The ICH7R is for a Ultra DMA 100/66 signal cable. This is where the CD drive is now (NEC DVD-RW)

I don't know how to tell which cables are which...this may be the entire problem.

Both devices are set to single or master, however it is listed on the devices.

Now when I boot, it sees the CD and not the HDD. Last night I could get it to see the HDD and not the CD, when it began to complete the install when booting from the HDD, it couldn't find necessary files on the CD because it couldn't see it.

Comment

Ok here is what i would do.

Plug just the HDD into one cable set to master. Look in the BIOS and see what channel it thinks it is on. Then unplug the HDD and plug the CD as master onto the other channel. Look in the BIOS and see if it says it is on the differnet channel.

Then plug both into seperate channels with the HDD on the primary and see how you go from there.

As biggles said, do a FULL format! This will check the integrity of the drive.
                  Server 2000 MCP

Comment

...I swapped the nice NEC DVD RW+- drive for an old beige CD Drive and booted, windows is currently finishing it's setup procedure. I guess the NEW and the Asus board weren't playing nice.
                    The Marvel connector never did work...from what I read, it is not ready for prime-time.

Comment

...I swapped the nice NEC DVD RW+- drive for an old beige CD Drive and booted, windows is currently finishing it's setup procedure. I guess the NEW and the Asus board weren't playing nice.
                      The Marvel connector never did work...from what I read, it is not ready for prime-time.
                      Glad it seems to be going ok now!
                      Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Windows installed. Woohoo!

Thanks for all the info.

Now however, it seems to take a REAL long time to boot. The Windows logo with the progress bar keeps going for something like ten minutes.

What is it doing all that time?

...also, if I leave it at the login screen too long, the thing freezes. My other rig does this too Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe with XP2500+.
                        Last edited by unsquare; 18th June 2006, 18:16.

Comment

Are you logging on as Administrator or as a user account you created during startup? You may have a corrupt profile. And just to make sure, is this machine a standalone or is it part of a Domain?
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

It is the only windows box in the house. But I gave it the domain name "Home" on setup. I am logging in as admin though.

Comment

It is the only windows box in the house. But I gave it the domain name "Home" on setup. I am logging in as admin though.
                              Is it the black screen with windows xp on that takes ages or when you log on?
                              Server 2000 MCP

Comment

Working...
                              X