Using Event Viewer on Remote Machines

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Event Viewer on Remote Machines

We are running Windows XP SP2 and we would like to view the event log on remote machines in our branch offices. We've got the Remote Registry service running, but I always get the:

"Unable to connect to the computer XXXXXX. The error was: The Network path was not found."

error message, unless the remote machine we're trying to access also has the Server service running. Does the Server service have to be running on the remote computer to use Event Viewer to view the logs remotely, or am I missing something.

Thanks,
    Lilary

Re: Using Event Viewer on Remote Machines

Why would you have the server service turned off in a network anyway??

Supports file, print, and named-pipe sharing over the network for this computer. If this service is stopped, these functions will be unavailable. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
    This is needed on the LAN to support file and print and sharing.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/server.htm

Comment

This is a client PC, not a server. The server service is only required if the machine is going to be acting as a file/print server (or web, sql, etc), which it is not. This is simply a workstation.

Thanks,
      Lilary

Comment

Originally posted by lilary
        This is a client PC, not a server. The server service is only required if the machine is going to be acting as a file/print server (or web, sql, etc), which it is not. This is simply a workstation.

Thanks,
        Lilary
        Actually your wrong

This is a quote directly from MS on what the server service is

Server - provides RPC support and file print and named pipe sharing over the network. The Server service allows the sharing of your local resources (such as disks and printers) so that other users on the network can access them. It also allows named pipe communication between applications running on other computers and your computer, which is used for RPC.

Disabling this service results in:

• An inability to share files and printers on your computer with other computers on the network.

An inability of your computer to service RPC requests.

• An inability to communicate via named pipes between machines.
        Now if i rememebr correctly the machine will attempt to conenct via PC to the remote machines registry.

Someone can correct me if i'm wrong.

You may also want to have a look at this article

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/kba...ryEditing.html

Comment

Thanks for the info. I thought that remote event viewing was based on RPC, but I wasn't 100% sure.

Comment

Working...
          X