problem with LAN sharing in xp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with LAN sharing in xp

I am new to this forum, and this is my first post. I have a problem with a neighbour of mine with the file sharing. He has a large hard-disk (360 Gb) and has 4 or 5 partitions.(C, D, E, F, G i think) He shared some of the folders on the network and i can only acces folders on one or two of the partitions. ( D and E i think) All the folders
    were shared the same (simple file sharing is turned off) and when i try to acces a folder on drive G for example i get this message " You might not have acces to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have acces permision. Acces is denied." When i try to acces a folder on drive D it works just fine, so i don't get it. What is the problem? Can anyone help me??? By the way, we both have xp sp 2 and he has NTFS and i have FAT 32
    Last edited by jack2k2; 11th June 2006, 19:17.

Re: problem with LAN sharing in xp

XP Pro or Home?
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

From what i know.. if u need to access to any network drive.. u need to make permission first b4 u can access to the network drive !!

Comment

Hello,
        My opinion is that missed configured permissions caused this issue.
        Remember that user effective permissions are based on both share and NTFS permissions. The most restrictive is taken under consideration.
        Let say, the share perm is change for everyone. Despite of that if there is not at least Read NTFS permission also, the access is denied. In the same way, even if you have full NTFS perm. at least read share perm. should exist in order to have access from the network.
        Regards,
        Csaba Papp
        MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
        Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

One system has NTFS and the other FAT32. A 360GB HDD with 4 or 5 partitions makes me think he has the FAT32 therefore the NTFS/SHARE most restrictive won't apply. If he can access files on one partition and not another then it is most likely a misconfigured permission.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

ok, so how do i get Read NTFS permission on the other partitions, that i can't acces?? presuming that it's turned on only on the partitions that i can acces....

Comment

Originally posted by danielp
              XP Pro or Home?
              I ask again, XP Home or Pro? Do you want to answer my question and get help, or do you want to continue going round about it?
              Cheers,

Daniel Petri
              MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

We both have XP Pro

Comment

Are the users both using a password for their accounts?

If not you'll run into issues (not to mention security issues).

Does this happen on both computers? I.e. CompA > CompB and the other way around?
                  Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                  MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

no, we aren't using passwords, and it doesn't happen on both computers. I also tried to give full control on the folder shared(in the "sharing" menu and the "security" menu) and it still doesn't work... and i tried with "simple file sharing" too and still nothing

Comment

Ok listen, try, just for the fun of it, to give yourself a password. Do so for the other user too. Then reboot your computer, logon as the user and supply your password, then try to connect to that share.
                      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
                      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanks for the tip. i haven't had time to try this yet, but i will and i'll let you know if it worked.

Comment

Working...
                        X