Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2k sharing a printer with Windows Media Center Edition

Hi guys.
    I'm setting this up for a friend and I can't get it to work. Here's what I've done.

Both computers are in a workgroup (can't remember if they're in the same workgroup or not)

On the Win2k machine I've setup a new user with admin privileges, shared a printer that's connected and granted permissions for the user.

On the win MCE computer I've setup the user with the exact same name and password as the user I've configured on the Win2k machine. I add the network printer and it prompts me for credentials (I can see the problem coming). I put them in and am able to install and print.

I restart the computer and try to print and I get an “access denied” without even prompting for username and password. After this I grant “everyone” and “anonymous login” access to the printer. I uninstall and reinstall the printer and get the same results. I'm obviously doing something wrong. What is the proper way of networking 2k and MCE.

Thanks.
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Re: Windows 2k sharing a printer with Windows Media Center Edition

I thought I'd post again to see if anyone could enlighten me on this issue. I have confirmed that they're in the same workgroup. I haven't had a chance to work on the issue though. Has anybody else had this trouble? When I get a chance I'll try mapping a drive so that it authenticates before printing. Don't know if it will help...
    Regards,
    Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Re: Windows 2k sharing a printer with Windows Media Center Edition

OK, where is that smile that bashes itself in the head?
      I finally got a chance to go back to the friend's house (it's been over 3 months, I know) and all I needed to do was enabled the guest account. Everything shares fine now. No prompt.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
      X