Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restore Boot.ini from System State Backup

Hi

Is that possible to restore Boot.ini file alone from the system state backup ?

Re: Restore Boot.ini from System State Backup

System?State backup and restore is an all or nothing proposition. You can not selectively specify individual components of System?State to backup or restore.

I believe you can re-direct the file components of a System?State restore.
    VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
    boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
    My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

I could be wrong but I don't think the System state backs up the boot.ini file.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

System State backup in Win2k3 includes boot files.
        VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

On Win2k3 I did a test restore to an alternate location and I couldn't find the boot.ini file. Is there something I'm missing? Does it get named something different during the restore process or does it only restore that file when you have it set to "Original Location"?
          Regards,
          Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I performed a backup of system state only with detailed logging. What I have found is that boot files consists of many files in many nooks and crannies of the C:\ drive. Concerning the root directory, only ntldr and ntdetect.com are boot files that are backed up. It would appear that boot.ini is not backed up. If you want boot.ini backed up, you will have to explicitly choose it in the backup selections for your regularly occurring backups. Why MS chose to exclude boot.ini from "boot files" is beyond me.

Jas

Comment

OK, so I'm not going crazy. It may be because if you're boot.ini file's messed up you won't be able to restore it from a backup anyway.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW
                OK, so I'm not going crazy. It may be because if you're boot.ini file's messed up you won't be able to restore it from a backup anyway.
                My boot.ini file that I tested with in my lab is not "messed up" and still did not get backed up according to the verbose logging that I turned on for the backup job. This seems like a lame excuse but maybe because the boot.ini file is hidden? That doesn't seem right though. Just as backing up "boot files" excludes boot.ini which is a critical boot file doesn't seem right.

Anyway, you know the workaround and knowing is half the battle. Plan accordingly.

Jas

Comment

Right, what I meant was the MS might think that it's not worth backing up because if your boot.ini file gets messed up you won't be able to boot into Windows to do a restore anyways. But having said that, if you're able to access your backup set with another computer (on cd, dvd, tape, or put the HD in this other system), if the boot.ini file was backed up you could at least put it on a floppy or open it up to match it up manually.
                  Regards,
                  Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

It's probably not included in the backup because it can be easily recreated in the recovery console. Granted this doesn't included elaborate boot.ini files but it will get you back into Windows.
                    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                    X