Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New HD. XPsp2 OS denied access to My Docs folder on Older Unbootable slaved drive!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New HD. XPsp2 OS denied access to My Docs folder on Older Unbootable slaved drive!!

My older hard disk was dual booted on the first 2 of 6 partitions with Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Home SP2. I hadn't applied many, maybe not any, updates to the win2k os so during the short time I was working in this OS I assume one of the countless threats to this OS have hit the system...nothing viral however. Norton and antispyware runing 24/7!
    This old harddrive now boots and hangs at a black screen with a cursor, the standard one before being given the option of which OS to load. I had a website to publish in less than a week so I bought another drive onto which I installed only WinXP Home. I intend to keep this new HD as my primary drive and use the older drive as storage after backing it up.

My problem though is that I need to but can't access the root account\My Documents folder from the XP account on the old drive. How can I retrieve my files?!
    Logged on in my new HD, and browsing the old slaved drive, I get the "Access is denied" prompt -- the same one a lower level user recieves when attempting to access a system folder or the like. Needless to say I've got all my important documents in that location on my old drive and since I can't boot that old drive I am at a loss as how to proceed to recover my files, most important being my current resume that I direly need as I am typing this post.
    I've already tried browsing to it using the cmd promt but recieve the same access is denied response.
    I do not have a functioning floppy drive. I do however have dvd/cd and usb booting access.

The MBR on the old drive appears to be intact -- contents of the boot.ini file:

[boot loader]
    timeout=5
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microso ft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

So I'd like to know what's causing it to hang before getting to this selection screen.

The win2k installation disk has the option to fixMBR or something of that accord. It also though issues a warning of caution that this may damage partition information on the drive. Since I have 6 partitions @ 70% capacity on this 160gig drive I hadn't the gumption to yet attempt doing this before a backup.
    Whether or not I can get the old drive to boot is of little importance to me. I really need to only access the documents from my old harddrive. How can I go about this?
    Problems on the Old drive working under Win2k first started when I was unable to access webpages from my browsers' (Firefox, Iexplorer) address bars. I had to type the web address into google's search page and click on the resulting web link. Soon after something froze up and I had to restart.....upon reboot I come to find my profile had been corrupted."Windows cannot load your profile because it may be corrupted. You may be logged in using a temporary User Profile. Please contact your system administrator" It fortunately saved all my profile info, over 200megs worth, in a backup folder. I created a new profile with admin rights and copied over all necessary, but NO system, files from the backedup profile. This was fine for about a week during which I didin't dare restart my computer. But at one point the GUI crashed and wouldn't come back up and I had a couple browser and program windows free floating a couple of inches over the desktop background picture. Upon restaring here my computer hung at the black screen with the cursor. This prmpted me to buy a new drive as I had a deadline approaching... fortunately current work is on jumpdrive.

Re: New HD. XPsp2 OS denied access to My Docs folder on Older Unbootable slaved drive!!

Have you tried to take ownership of the files??

Did you have the folders set to private??

Comment

Re: New HD. XPsp2 OS denied access to My Docs folder on Older Unbootable slaved driv

Have you tried to take ownership of the files??

Did you have the folders set to private??
      Yes it was set to private and no I hadn't yet taken ownership of the files. But I've done so and I'm back in business....
      Thanks wullieb1!!

find out how to take ownership at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Comment

Re: New HD. XPsp2 OS denied access to My Docs folder on Older Unbootable slaved driv

Originally posted by Ybro2
        Yes it was set to private and no I hadn't yet taken ownership of the files. But I've done so and I'm back in business....
        Thanks wullieb1!!

find out how to take ownership at this link: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

Excellent. Glad to see you got it working.

I should've posted that link for you so sorry for not doing so.

Comment

Working...
        X