Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bios cannot detect hdd, but hdd can boot to winxp

Hi guys,

My fren is having problem re-installing his pc.

Here's the scenario:
    1) He pops the winxp installation cd in, restarts comp. Winxp setup says hdd not detected. Installation did not continue.
    2) He checks bios for hdd entry. NO HDD FOUND in BIOS!
    3) He tries to boot to the existing winxp in his hdd. He was able to boot into winxp.

Guys, in conclusion, the bios can't find his hdd yet he is able to boot to his existing winxp inside that hdd.

How should we proceed from here? He can't do a fresh install of winxp so long as the bios refused to detect his hdd.

thx,
    gildan2020

Re: bios cannot detect hdd, but hdd can boot to winxp

Is he running the HDD from a RAID controller. When you boot from the install CD it will ask you to press F6 to add any additional drivers. My guess is the original install had those drivers but the install he is trying now isn't being supplied with them.

Boot into XP normally, go to Device Manager and see if there is a RAID option listed. Post the motherboard make.model number and we will see if we can find out if the possible RAID controller is onboard.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
      Is he running the HDD from a RAID controller. When you boot from the install CD it will ask you to press F6 to add any additional drivers. My guess is the original install had those drivers but the install he is trying now isn't being supplied with them.

Boot into XP normally, go to Device Manager and see if there is a RAID option listed. Post the motherboard make.model number and we will see if we can find out if the possible RAID controller is onboard.
      Hi Biggles,

thanks for the idea. It's an ABIT AN7 mobo (nforce2). There's RAID support for this mobo but we didn't check if it's enabled for this mobo or not (it's just one hdd he's using anyway)
      I asked him to download the driver from the ABIT website and copied the files for the SATA drivers into a floppy.

wish us luck ; )

gildan2020

Comment

btw, correct me if i'm wrong...
        i thought WINXP SP2 natively supports SATA HDD, so if i pop the cd in, it should've detected that hdd, right?

i think i haven't told u guys what hdd it was; it was a WD 80GB SATA1 hdd.

Comment

Originally posted by gildan2020
          btw, correct me if i'm wrong...
          i thought WINXP SP2 natively supports SATA HDD, so if i pop the cd in, it should've detected that hdd, right?

i think i haven't told u guys what hdd it was; it was a WD 80GB SATA1 hdd.
          Sorry but your wrong.

You will need to download the driver from ABIT and press f6 when asked. This will then ask you to install the drivers. Insert the floppy disk and away you go.

Direct Link to driver!!!

Comment

ok, it is the driver...we finally managed to install winxp on his comp.
            thanks guys

To wullieb1,
            So you mean this is all a mobo-dependant scenario?
            because I'm using an MSI mobo with a SATA hdd, my installation runs just fine without the need for a SATA driver

Comment

Originally posted by gildan2020
              ok, it is the driver...we finally managed to install winxp on his comp.
              thanks guys

To wullieb1,
              So you mean this is all a mobo-dependant scenario?
              because I'm using an MSI mobo with a SATA hdd, my installation runs just fine without the need for a SATA driver
              Glad to see it's sorted.

From my personal experience i have always had to install the motherboard independant driver to get SATA working.

I think that on some motherboards you can get a compatability setting in the BIOS that may help.

Comment

Working...
              X