This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh - Domain Not Available but no network

I have XP Pro installed on a laptop. It is not connected to a network. This is just a typical home (1 machine) vanilla install. Did an SP2 upgrade. Went fine. Turned off machine and rebooted. Went fine.

Next day I turned the machine off and tried to reboot. I go the select users screen but regardless of which user (or admninistrator) account I try to access (I do remember the passwords) I get the message windows cannot log you on because the "DOMAIN <name of domain> is not available"

This is true in safe mode, last known good, and command prompt only mode. I simply cannot login.

I have utterly no idea where to start in tackling this. Help.

Re: Ugh - Domain Not Available but no network

I should note ... I cannot roll back the SP2 install.

Comment

You have lost network connectivity, have DNS problems, a Global Catalog server is unavailable while using a UPN to log on, or your domain controller(s) for your domain is unavailiable, and you are not allowed to log on to the workstation using a cached domain account, or this is your first attempt to log on with your domain account when the domain or network is unavailable.

Don't bother trying to uninstall SP2. That is not a good solution. Work the problem, which in this case appears to be network or domain controller related.

Can you log on locally, perferrably as a local administrator of the XP workstation, and verify that you have network connectivity?

Do you have a TCP/IP configuration? Use the ipconfig /all to verify this.

Can you ping other hosts on the network?

Can you ping your default gateway?

Go to a command prompt and type the command SET and hit the ENTER key. Note your LOGONSERVER= Can you ping the name of the LOGONSERVER ?

If the commands above have succeeded, proceed to testing communication with a domain controller on your network:

Can you run the NLTEST command at a command prompt to verify your secure channel connection to a domain controller?

ie.
      Code:
      C:\>nltest /sc_verify:boche.mcse
      Flags: 90 HAS_IP
      Trusted DC Name \\JABBA.boche.mcse
      Trusted DC Connection Status Status = 0 0x0 NERR_Success
      Trust Verification Status = 0 0x0 NERR_Success
      The command completed successfully

Will any domain controller in the boche.mcse domain log on a user named jason?
      Code:
      C:\>nltest /whowill:boche.mcse jason
      [21:02:05] Mail message 0 sent successfully (\MAILSLOT\NET\GETDC465)
      [21:02:05] Response 0: S:OBIWAN D:BOCHE A:jason (Act found)
      The command completed successfully
      Last edited by jasonboche; 10th May 2006, 03:06.
      VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+
      boche.net - VMware Virtualization Evangelist
      My advice has no warranties. Follow at your own risk.

Comment

Jason,

OP say's that they aren't on a network/domain so can't run those tests.

Clueless,

When you get to the login screen and you press options what do you see???

After you press Ctr+Alt+Del you should see the logon box where you enter your username and password. Below that there is a button called options, press that and you should see another box with Log on To:, in here it should have your machine name.

If it does try loggong in as the administrator of the local machine.

Comment

Boy do I feel like an idiot. This is what happens when you don't read carefully enough.

I'll be in hiding for the next 24-48 hours
          VCDX3 #34, VCDX4, VCDX5, VCAP4-DCA #14, VCAP4-DCD #35, VCAP5-DCD, VCPx4, vEXPERTx4, MCSEx3, MCSAx2, MCP, CCAx2, A+

Comment

Originally posted by jasonboche
            Boy do I feel like an idiot. This is what happens when you don't read carefully enough.

I'll be in hiding for the next 24-48 hours

Don't feel like that. It's a very easy mistake to make.

Comment

What a nightmare. I have no internet access sans my laptop ... and hence the delay in replying.

When I hit CTL-ALT-DEL I get the Log On to Windows window, but when I click the options box all it brings up is the shut down button. Nothing else is available (neither right nor left shifting) and there is NO Log on to: box or menu item.

Comment

Originally posted by clueless
                What a nightmare. I have no internet access sans my laptop ... and hence the delay in replying.

When I hit CTL-ALT-DEL I get the Log On to Windows window, but when I click the options box all it brings up is the shut down button. Nothing else is available (neither right nor left shifting) and there is NO Log on to: box or menu item.
                So this says to me that there is no domain setup on the laptop.

Have you tried to login to the laptop using the local system administrator username and password??

Comment

I am not quite sure what you mean.

I cannot log in when I select either the administrator button (safe mode) or type in administrator and the password (ctl alt del) at login. I do remember the password. Same message -- domain <name> not available.

Interestingly, I *can* get to the recovery console command prompt via floppy disk xp boot (it asks me for the administrator password prior to command prompt).

Comment

Does anybody have *any* ideas as to how I could proceed???

Comment

At the logon screen (Username, Password, Domain) have you tried clicking on the down arrow next to Domain and select the other name (This computer)? This is the local system Wullie refers to.

If that don't work:

Reinstall XP over the top of itself. (Don't run the first REPAIR option). Don't delete the partition when it finds the present O/S. It should save your data and any apps that are installed should still run. Service Packs etc will need to be reapplied.
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

I don't have a domain option available at the logon screen. All it says is user and password. There is nothing to click down upon.

Time to reinstall?

Comment

I don't have a domain option available at the logon screen. All it says is user and password. There is nothing to click down upon.

Time to reinstall?
                          It sounds to me like the laptop is not joined to a domain.

Log on with local administrative credentials as was suggested previously. Then re-join the machine to the domain.

After rebooting, you should have the option to log on to the domain you joined as well as all trusted domains.

Jas

Comment

As I wrote previously, I cannot log on to windows xp as administrator. I hit ctl-alt-del and attempt to do so and receive the same message ... "cannot log you on because domain not available."

I do not have a domain: option. There is no list box to scroll through.

I can change the domain manually by putting in \domain\ before the user name (I *think*). Do you suggest something in particular?

If not, please let me know HOW to log on with local administrative credentials when there is no "Log on to" listing and just typing in administrator and the associated password gets me exactly the same message.

This is growing really frustrating.

Comment

As I wrote previously, I cannot log on to windows xp as administrator. I hit ctl-alt-del and attempt to do so and receive the same message ... "cannot log you on because domain not available."

I do not have a domain: option. There is no list box to scroll through.

I can change the domain manually by putting in \domain\ before the user name (I *think*). Do you suggest something in particular?

If not, please let me know HOW to log on with local administrative credentials when there is no "Log on to" listing and just typing in administrator and the associated password gets me exactly the same message.

This is growing really frustrating.
                              Your administrator account is the one you setup when installing XP.

It specifically asks you for your Administrator password during the GUI stage of setup. I'm sure it is before it starts the network portion, i could be wrong though.

This is the account you need to use to get access to the laptop.

Did you install XP on this machine??

Comment

Working...
                              X