No announcement yet.

USB Printer problem on 2000

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Printer problem on 2000

Good afternoon,

I am having some problems getting some printers installed. Here is the scenario.

I am trying to install an HP Officejet Pro K550 colour inkjet printer by USB connection onto a Windows 2000 Pro PC. The PC is fully servicepacked and hotfixed etc.
    I can install the printer and it detects and runs OK, either as user account or as our admin account, but as soon as I reboot the PC (or log out and log back in) then the printer is not available. It is greyed out in the printers screen, and the Use Printer Offline option is ticked.

If I remove the USB lead and replace, or remove the Use Printer Offline tick option, then the printer works fine, until the next user logs in or the PC is rebooted.

I cannot find an option to make the printer start in online mode.
    After a search on here, I have checked the power off options for USB2 root hub, which was suggested in an earlier thread, and the settings for this are OK.

We have tried this with two different, PC's, printers and sets of cables, and it seems to be consistent with our build. A later version of our build appears to work OK, so there must be a setting that we cannot find.

Does anyone have any ideas please as it is driving myself and my colleague nuts!
    Please ask if you need any more info.

Re: USB Printer problem on 2000

Did you use the printer's software installation kit? Did you follow the installation guide?
    USB devices should not be connected to the computer when we start the installation. The software installation wizard tells us when to connect it.
    USB devices can cause a lot of headaches...

I suggest you to remove the software and drivers and reinstall them again.
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

I tried it both ways, but haven't tried a full uninstall from the CD, just done it the old fashioned way. I will give that a try today. Thanks for the link, I'll let you know how it goes.

Just to give a final update on this. We tried several things including installing and reinstalling with the correct connections at the right time etc, witgh no result. It turned out that there was a problem with the HP install software, and there is a patch which we managed to locate and download. All working fine now.

Ratcliffe, so long and you still posted back with the solution. Thank you, that is just excellent and we do appreciate it. This may help someone if they have that problem. Thanks again!!
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

Its always handy to have a final answer. I hate it when you find what you are searching for, only to find the eventual outcome isn't posted...