Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remote computer management fails from XP but works from 2003???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote computer management fails from XP but works from 2003???

Hello,

I'm battling with an issue trying to understand why I have a few machines on the LAN that I can not connect to for remote computer management, with net use or with psexec from other XP machines. I can, however, connect to all of these same machines from Windows Server 2003 boxes.

- All of the XP machines on the LAN are running Win XP sp2 with the firewall disabled, file and printer sharing enabled and with all hidden shares appearing correctly.

- I can connect from most XP machines to other XP machines on the LAN no problem. Only a few are causing a problem.

- I can connect to all XP machines from Windows Server 2003.

- In all above cases I'm logged in to the computer from which I'm attempting to connect as domain admin and issuing the connect commands, where appropriate, with admin account and password info.

- The error message I am receiving from computer management is "Computer \\xxx cannot be managed. The network path was not found". When trying a net use I get "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found". With psexec its "The network path was not found. Make sure that the default admin$ share is enabled on xxx."

- I've tried connecting with IP address instead of machine name and that makes no difference.

If I were unable to connect from anywhere I'd be fairly sure that it was a local permissions, security or similar issue on the destination machines but the fact that it works from Server 2003 and not from XP is leaving me stuck.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Chris

Re: Remote computer management fails from XP but works from 2003???

All of the XP machines on the LAN are running Win XP sp2 with the firewall disabled
    Did you only disable the firewall in control panel? This doesn't stop the windows firewall service which you manually need to stop before the firewall is fully disabled.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I actually have the firewall disabled via a group policy when computers are connected to the LAN so that it enables automatically when laptop users are on the road. I had, however, tried completely stopping the service to see if it made a difference and unfortunately not.

Comment

Have these machine registered there IP addresses in DNS??

Are all the setting on these machines identical??

What are the results when you type net use
        Last edited by wullieb1; 30th March 2006, 13:57.

Comment

All the machines in question have registered in the DNS and all looks correct and clean in both forward and reverse lookup zones.

In everything I've checked the machine settings are identical. Without having tried to connect to all the machines on the LAN, the only ones I've found to be causing problems are all laptops, the majority of which were originally installed from the same image and so would have been completely identical. I say the majority but it is not all as I do have one laptop causing problems that is much more recent than the others and wasn't installed from the image and I have other laptops that I can connect to fine.

For the net use, I get a System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found. when trying to access a problematic machine. From a problem machine to a working machine it works no problem.

Interestingly in just doing this test, after having connected from a problem machine I then went to the machine to which I had connected and repeated the net use to the problem machine and it worked. An example to better explain (PC2 is a machine currently causing problems).

From PC1 I do net use \\pc2\c$ /u:domain\admin
          Returns error System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found.
          I then go to PC2 and do net use \\pc1\c$ /u:domain\admin
          It asks for password and connects as expected.
          I delete the connection
          Go back to PC1 and repeat net use \\pc2\c$ /u:domain\admin and now it works
          I try the same from PC3 to PC2 and it fails
          I reboot PC2 and can no longer do a successful net use from PC1.

Obviously something in the communication between the two but what I don't know.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

I know its maybe a long shot but it could be worthwhile uninstalling and re-installing the NIC drivers.

Comment

Had to find a moment to get my hands on one of these machines to try this. Afraid it didn't bring any miracles so I'm still stuck.

Thanks anyway, was worth a try.

Comment

Working...
              X