reduce the size of LOCAL user profile in Win2000/WinXP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reduce the size of LOCAL user profile in Win2000/WinXP

local user profiles grow as they are used constantly (new documents are created, additional software installed, etc). this is perfectly allright and sounds logical anyway.

on the other hand, when i delete documents or uninstall/remove software that i don't need any more my local user profile remains the same size as before the action.

i find quite similar analogy in Outlook Express. Inbox, Deleted Items and other "mail folders" act like this. however, it is possible to reduce their size from Outlook Express.

nevertheless, i never found a solution to significantly reduce the size of a LOCAL user profile.

is it possible to reduce the size of LOCAL USER PROFILE after all?

thank you

danac
    BL

Re: reduce the size of LOCAL user profile in Win2000/WinXP

The user profile is not made of the installed programs, only (and maybe) their data. For example, if you use Outlook 2003 or not has little or no effect on the profile size, however if you use Outlook 2003 in Cached mode and your MBX is 2GB in size, you will have an OST file with the same size in your local profile.

Look for things like the Temp folder, IE history, IE temp files (reduce it to 10MB, no need to have 10% of the drive!) and other applications such as Google Desktop or MSN Search.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

thanx for the hint!

i will try it for sure.

all the best,
      danac

danac
      BL

Comment

Easiest way I've found of reducing the size of user profiles is to relocate the "My Documents" for the user.

If you log on, as the user, and right-click on the My Documents icon on the desktop you have the option to change the target directory. If you move it out of Documents and Settings folder it will no longer be counted in the total size of the user profile.

I have to do this now and again with some users when they complain about logging on taking too long!

Hope this helps

Dean

Comment

Working...
        X