No announcement yet.

accidental duplucate install of windows xp pro

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• accidental duplucate install of windows xp pro

I just put together my second computer. Upon installing windows it the computer would not reboot to enter the second phase of intallation. I finaly got windows to finish intalling and the next time it restarted I got a screen that said please select the operating systgem to start. and windows xp shows up twice. Only one starts the other gives me the same error message that i got when i got stuck the first time. My question is will this cause problems? How do I delete the unused and partial install of windows?

Re: accidental duplucate install of windows xp pro

Hi mate,

I doubt two installs actually exist, it's just written the second value to your boot.ini file.

All you need do is locate your boot.ini file, usually on the root on C, and delete the line with the non working XP selection. The boot.ini file lists them as you see it on screen, so if it's the top menu item that doesn't work you need to remove that line in the boot.ini.

A normal standard boot.ini should look something like this;

[boot loader]
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    Hope this helps

Re: accidental duplucate install of windows xp pro

Anaother way of removing the two booting options is to open up system settings and click the Advanced tab.
      Under Startup and Recovery, click the settings button and there you can edit your boot.ini file!
      I am Nobody. Nobody's Perfect therefore, I'm Perfect!