No announcement yet.

Windows 2000 Delete Window Password requirement

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows 2000 Delete Window Password requirement

I have a home Windows 2000 Professional system. Recently, my system has been requiring the Windows password during bootup. (I don't know what I did to invoke this, because for 2 years I haven't had to enter one.)

So my question is: How do I eliminate the requirement for a password?

The things I have tried so far:

My password is null, nothing, nada.

I have visited Control Panel, Users and Passwords and unchecked the box "Users must enter a user name and password". Thing is, I'm certain I did not check this box in the past. Only thing I can figure is Mr Gates thought it was a cute joke!)

I have done a CNTRL, ALT, DEL and entered the Change Password area. There I don't provide a old or new password and hit the OK. Same problem... windows wants a password at bootup.

Thanks in advanced for your help.

ken at i-c dot net

Taken directly from Technet...

Do the following:

To enable automatic logons, you have to make a total of four changes to values under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current Version\Winlogon:

1. Set the DefaultDomainName value to the name of the domain you want to automatically log into. Of course, instead of a domain you may specify the name of the computer itself.

2. Set DefaultUserName to the user account name you want to use when logging on.

3. Add a REG_SZ named AutoAdminLogon and set its to value to 1.

4. Add a REG_SZ named DefaultPassword and set its contents to the password for the account you specified in DefaultUserName. If you leave this value blank, automatic logon will be turned off (actually, AutoAdminLogon will be set back to its default value of 0).

Once you make these changes, the next reboot will automatically log on the account you specified. If you want to log on as a different user, hold down the Shift key as you log off the machine.

You can alternatively use TweakUI to acheive this without having to edit the registry.

Download the Windows 2000 version of TweakUI Here.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **