new computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new computer

I just purchased a new computer with winxp but much of my business software won't work on xp. I need to install win2000pro, either as a stand-alone or a dual-boot option. The book tells me how to ADD xp to an existing os but NOT how to add 2000pro to xp. any suggestions?

Re: new computer

The recommended way is to format and reinstall, starting with the oldest OS, i.e. Win2000, then the newer (XP). I believe there are ways of fooling it into installing Win2000 alongside XP, but cant find a link right now. Perhaps someone else has it.

As I recall, it involved getting the details of the XP partition before the 2000 setup, then manually editing boot.ini afterwards.

IMHO, with a new PC, do a clean format and install is your best option.

Not sure about licensing -- you will probably need licenses for both OSes

Tom
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

ossian is correct - you will need license for both OS.

Here's the link to microsoft on how to setup Dual Boot - Win 2000 after Win XP
      http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug91.mspx

Comment

Another link for installing 2K after XP:
        http://thpc.info/dual/dual2konxp.html

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
        X