This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• force interactive logon for network resource in win xp sp2

whenever i try to access a network resource on a new win sp2 machine i built it gives me an error:

\\x.x.x.x is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.

Logon failure: user account restriction. Possible reasons are blank passwords not allowed, logon hours restrictions, or a policy restriction has been enforced.

Because it is not prompting me for the user/pass to access the network resource the best i can figure is it is trying to use the local credentials to authenticate. So I want to know how i can force an interactive logon for the network resources.

I turned off simple file sharing and created a new user account and it does propt for user/pass. Also i got a work around by mapping a network drive using the "connect using a different username" option. But these are temporary fixes considering I do not want to have 30+ network drives mapped and I cannot just move everything over to a new user account.

Sorry if this was already answered, I assure you i did a search before i posted this (though i may have just not used the correct terms).

Thanks in advance!
    trey

Re: force interactive logon for network resource in win xp sp2

Are you running this PC on a Domain?
    Has the PC been joined to the Domain?
    Do you have a User account on the Domain?
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

this pc is in a workgroup (win xp pro sp2) and must stay outside the domain.

i am trying to connect to domain resources. with any other win xp pc it always prompts for user/pass to use to connect to resource. this one though never gives me the option to use different credentials.

Comment

not trying to be rude, but does anyone have even a guess at what i should attempt for this?

tia

Comment

Is this a workgroup structure? Does the workgroup have a name or is it just a collection of PCs?
          How many users in this workgroup are "logged in" at the same time? Keep in mind the a workgroup has a limit of 10 PCs.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

the computer i want to force the interactive network login is set for a woprkgroup of which there are no other pcs in. i am trying to access network shares on domain pcs. normally it prompts for a user/pass but this one computer will not.

thanks for the responce.

Comment

Have you tried to set the registry key to 0 for cached logons??

hklm\software\microsoft\windowsnt\current version\winlogon

set cachedlogons to 0

Comment

thank you very much . that forced the user/pass prompt to come up.

Comment

Originally posted by newandalxa561
                  thank you very much . that forced the user/pass prompt to come up.
                  It looks like there was a problem with the machine storing cached logons. Setting that value to 0 sets the machine to NOT store them.

Glad to see it fixed it though.

Comment

I have a very similar problem, and am at a loss as to what to do:

ON THE SAME COMPUTER, with one administrator account I get the login screen when I click on the workgroup icon, with other accounts no box appears - just a message that basically* says "you haven't got access rights, contact with the system administrator. error starting session: the user has not been granted this type of session start on this computer"

Unfortunately the cachedlogons tip didn't work (though I did change them on both the machine with the share and the machine I am trying to connect with).

nb. the registry value I found was cachedlogoncount!? presumably that is what was meant?! I changed it from 10 to 0.

Anything else known about that might be the cause of this? Any help would be much appreciated. If more information is required please say.

*I say 'basically' because the xp systems are in spanish - so I am translating...
                    Last edited by jono-es21; 14th March 2007, 18:05. Reason: to give more accurate information

Comment

Hi jono-es21.
                      Please start another thread.
                      Adding your own problem to a thread started by someone else is considered hijacking and will only confuse things.

Thanks.

Thread closed.
                      Regards,
                      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                      X