Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive Space Missing.

Hi there.

I wonder if anyone has heard of or experienced the same issue i am having at the moment.

I have two client PC's running Windows Xp Pro. A week ago the PC's were moaning about disk space. So i browsed the PC's to see what was wrong and i found nothing.

I right click documents and settings and it give me 30Gb in size for the folder. But i i go into the Docs and Sets folder and highlight everything including hidden files and folders it gives me 1.5Gb. For some odd reason something is chewing the space and i cannot find it.

I have run Disk check and defrag, but alas it hs not picked up anything at all. I have run a rootrevealer kit as well and it has picked up nothing substantial.

PLS HELP! It is very concerning.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Hard drive Space Missing.

run treesize for a great overview
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

WOW!!! nice tool dumber. It really helped me out.

For some odd reason it wasn't showing me the local service folder where everything was situated. It was Temporary internet files that sumed up to be 29Gb's of data.

It is one of our "Wonderful" developers that clerly doesn't know what is cooking. So i have no cleared it out and it has freed up 29Gb of data.

The developer says it has something to do with Active X controls, but surely there should be a way of prohibiting this from taking place everytime he log onto the Website? It is internally that this website gets used. But to load 29Gb of data is ridiculous if you ask me. .TIF files dbf files sid's etc etc .... What to do what to do.

But thanks Dumber that tool was great.

Comment

Originally posted by bwebber
        WOW!!! nice tool dumber. It really helped me out.

For some odd reason it wasn't showing me the local service folder where everything was situated. It was Temporary internet files that sumed up to be 29Gb's of data.

It is one of our "Wonderful" developers that clerly doesn't know what is cooking. So i have no cleared it out and it has freed up 29Gb of data.

The developer says it has something to do with Active X controls, but surely there should be a way of prohibiting this from taking place everytime he log onto the Website? It is internally that this website gets used. But to load 29Gb of data is ridiculous if you ask me. .TIF files dbf files sid's etc etc .... What to do what to do.

But thanks Dumber that tool was great.

29 gigs of temp internet files. Wow.

Anyway i would restrict that to 1MB as i have done on all the machines i have at work. I do it via the Internet Options.

Comment

Wullieb1 i will definitely do that, will ammend the GPO to do this.

Just very odd that it would have 29GB of temp internet files. Maybe i should just SWAT the developer and get him to fix it so it doesn't do it, cause we are looking at publishing this to the net and if this is the case, then i am going to make him pay for the bandwidth that is gonna be used to copy 29GB of data to the clients machine.

But thanks guys, i always get results on here.

Comment

Or you could even go to Internet Options and go to the advanced tab and check mark the box next to "Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed"

Comment

Or i could do that as well Ta whipit

Comment

Working...
              X