Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Storage device not importing after new OS installation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Storage device not importing after new OS installation.

Recently I had to do a reinstall of my bootable drive, its a long story, the bootable drive had corrupted and I lost my data Im currently using a program to recover the data, that is not the problem though. Since reinstalling XP pro with SP2, I ve had difficulties trying to import my storage drive in the Administrative tools, computer management tool. The drive is a second storage drive in a removable caddy one like this and is picked up by the BIOS when I boot my PC. Meaning it detects both master and slave drive.

Usually an option appears in computer managemnt that asks "Import a foregin drive or object" now thats not coming up in the menu at all. The only options available are convert it to dynamic disk, propeties and help. Its an IDE caddy drive with a 300Gb WD in it. I dont want to convert to disk to dynamic disk due too one fact... the data will be lost.

Any suggestions to why this has happened or a solution would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Storage device not importing after new OS installation.

Hello,
    Since the BIOS has correctly detected your second HDD, the OS should handle it correctly also.
    Did you try to assign a drive letter to the partition of the second drive? Each partition has to be assigned a drive letter in order to be available in My computer.
    To assign a driver letter, go to the Computer Management snap in, Storage ->Disk management, right click to the partition of your second disk, Change Drive Letter and path.

Regards,
    Csaba
    Attached Files
    Regards,
    Csaba Papp
    MCSA+messaging, MCSE, CCNA
    Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion netxt... though this doesnt work as stated in the topic the only options I have in the Computer Management snap in is " Convert to Dynamic disk, propeties and help. There is no option to change drive letter... and the removable drive isnt partitioned anyway. Thumbs up for the help though.

Comment

Is the removable drive connected to anything that maay need it's drivers installed??

Can you post a screenshot of what your disk management looks like.

Are there any conflicts in device manager??

Are there any event logs??

Was the drive a dynamic drive previously??

What disk format was the drive??

Comment

I was having difficulties installing some drivers when I had done the re install of the OS, but mainly with a USB driver though the removable caddy is connected via the IDE able within the case itself to the motherboard. I will investigate some more on the manufactures website to see if I can update those drivers.

Here is a screenshot of what my Computer management looks like... The format was NTFS previously and there was no conflicts in device manager.
          Attached Files

Comment

It looks to me like the OS hasn't recognised the file system, although it has recognised the drive.

Would it be feasible for you to get an image of the drive at all??

Can you boot to a win98 bootdisk and see if the actual NTFS partition is seen??

Before anyone say's i know he won't be able to read the data on the drive without something like NTFSDOS but i just want to see if the file system on the drive is recongnised.

Did you have the drive setup in any kind of RAID??

Comment

No the drive isnt setup as a RAID setup... Thanks though for your suggestions but the problem still exists I cant ge to my files.

Comment

Have you got an external USB box you could try it in?
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

My other option was an external USB enclosure, thanks biggles77. Im hoping to do that soon to check I can get to me files at least

Comment

Ok. With the external USB enclosure I can now get to my files and the file system is NTFS. But I still have the internal caddy which cannot detect the drive so basically back to square one.

Comment

Ok, we now have a good indication on where the problem lies. Does the caddy have a jumper so you can set it to Maste, Slave or Cable Select? Can you try the caddy using another drive? Does the caddy work on a different machine?
                      1 1 was a racehorse.
                      2 2 was 1 2.
                      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

No I havent tried the caddy on another machine but I will check that soon. There is not jumper on the caddy itself just on the hard disk and it is set to slave.

Could this be causing the problem in some way.. Im not sure I just noticed something strange in my device manager. Note the double entries in the drive controllers. It the only section within deveice manager that has double entries. Does anyone know hwy this could have happened. I attempted to removve one entry and reboot but to know avail the XP OS reintslled the drivers again and it is showing up again as double entries.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                        X