Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Office Prompts User for CD's on first use.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Prompts User for CD's on first use.

When we get new PC's I install Office 2k as Administrator on the domain. When the user logs in and attempts to use any office program it starts to install and then prompts the user for the installation disk. Why is it doing this?

Re: Office Prompts User for CD's on first use.

Originally posted by Solid
    When we get new PC's I install Office 2k as Administrator on the domain. When the user logs in and attempts to use any office program it starts to install and then prompts the user for the installation disk. Why is it doing this?
    Hi. What you're seeing is the Office Installer attempting to setup a new Office user profile on the local system. Since you installed as administrator, it's likely that the user that is reporting this message has logged in to their NTUSER
    profile for the first time since you installed office. For instance, they are probably logging in as %Domainname%\%Username% as opposed to the profile %Domainname%\Administrator (or %Computername%\Administrator) that you used to install office with initially.

If I recall, for Office 2000, setup is probably looking for OPro10.msi (check the *.msi files on your installation media, as there are several) on the installation media.

You do have a few workarounds for this:

A) Create a network share, and place your MSI files from the Office 2000 CD
    in that folder. If a user is prompted for the CD media, have him or her point
    to the new share that you've just created. This is one of the easier ways
    to handle this. Better yet, simply make this part of your Office setup routine,
    and you won't have to hear any complaints afterward from coworkers. It
    only takes a moment to do this.

B) You could also copy the MSI file(s) to a directory on the local PC, and
    explain to the user to point to this folder as well.

This event should occur only once per NTUSER profile on Windows NT/2000/XP-based client PC's- and having the MSI files handy will make dealing with these one time events much easier.

Good luck,

/tek

Comment

maybe this will also help you

https://www.microsoft.com/TechNet/pr.../08outlok.mspx
      Marcel
      Technical Consultant
      Netherlands
      http://www.phetios.com
      http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
      "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
      "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Or.. if your OS is 2000 you could install all programs and then copy the administrator profile to default user and it will work. You will still get the installation box but it will not ask for a CD, it will just install what is needed in the profile and then it opens the program. It hasnt failed me yet. Hope this helps

Comment

you could also simply install from a share.
          If you coipy the entire disk to the share and install from there, you would have a work around for this problem, and you would be able to install the addons for office more easily.

Comment

Thanks for the replies I will give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
            X