Installing Office XP using GPO in Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Office XP using GPO in Windows 2000

Trying to deploy Office XP to my office using GPO in Win 2000. All works great except that I can't figure out how to get a quiet installation. (I keep getting prompts to enter the license number.)

I'm familiar with the /qb switch, but how do I use that with GPO? Can't find any settings to change in .mst, but maybe that's not where I should be looking.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Use the Microsoft Office Resource Kit to install what you want, then when you create the group policy object make sure you select the basic UI (same as /qb) for install so it doesn't prompt.

If you don't understand what I'm talking about click this link, scroll down and read the section "Assigning an Application" - It gives instructions.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...on126121120120
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Yep! I agree, use the Office Resource kit!

You can enter your Select Licence key into the MST so your not prompted for it on install.

Nice to see the forums back on line again...
      If at first you dont succeed, Google it!

Comment

Thanks!!!!!

Had a little trouble at first because the Basic UI option is grayed out if you try to Assign the app. (It's not grayed out if you Publish it).

But, completely by accident, I found that when I looked at the Software Installation policy's Property tab, I was able to go in and change the setting from the default setting of "Maximum" to "Basic". In other words, the same option was not grayed out on that tab. Not sure why, but end result is that it works.

Also came across some info on entering a PIDKEY, but didn't need to pursue since first option worked out. I imagine that the PIDKEY option is for use with the .mst file as the second responder here was suggesting?

Comment

Re: Thanks!!!!!

Originally posted by gordonsumnerrules
          Also came across some info on entering a PIDKEY, but didn't need to pursue since first option worked out. I imagine that the PIDKEY option is for use with the .mst file as the second responder here was suggesting?
          I believe that is correct.
          Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

PIDKEY details

Well, for those who are interested, I did need the PIDKEY variable. If you use the "Basic" option described above, it works fine as long as you don't also use and .MST. When you add the .MST, it no longer works. You have to edit the .MST to include the PIDKEY variable with the software license number. It's step 21 of 22 in the Custom Installation Wizard process. Works like a champ.

By the way, there are some cool tutorial demos describing how to setup an admin install using Group Polices here:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/com...o/tnt1-61.mspx

Comment

I used to have the same problem, what you do is the following from the command prompt run your set up file for example E:/setup \a
              You will be prompted to the location to save the msi file, you will be prompted for a serial key. Enter the serial key and the installions files will be copied to the location your choose. Needless to say that this location should be shared example \\server\sahrename\filename.
              Link the msi in your group policy and you are done
              Best regards,
              Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I used to have the same problem, what you do is the following from the command prompt run your set up file for example E:/setup \a
                You will be prompted to the location to save the msi file, you will be prompted for a serial key. Enter the serial key and the installions files will be copied to the location your choose. Needless to say that this location should be shared example \\server\sahrename\filename.
                Link the msi in your group policy and you are done
                Best regards,
                Mostafa Itani

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X