Installing XP Pro in DOS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP Pro in DOS

I just formatted an hdd because I want to install XP Pro. (let me clear one thing up: I do not like XP ). Booted up with a boot disk from Win 98SE with CD support. Apparently I cannot install XP from DOS. I have a floppy I have marked: Boot for XP but my machine didn't recognize it. Any suggestions? I have looked at the files and cannot find what I am looking for. Thanks in advance!!

Janni

Re: Installing XP Pro in DOS

Set your CD ROM as the first boot device. This is done in the BIOS. Xp CD will then boot.

If you don't like XP, install Windows 98.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

you can install XP from DOS.

Install Windows XP from DOS (ie. no OS on a new hard drive):

Boot with a Windows 98 Start Up disk
      Insert the Windows 98 CD into the CD reader
      Run smartdrv.exe from the Win98 directory on the windows 98 CD (file caching)
      Type cd.. to back up to the root directory
      Insert Windows XP CD into the CD reader
      Copy the i386 folder to C:\
      Go into C:\i386 folder on C: and type winnt.exe to launch the setup from the hard drive.

Comment

How big is your hard drive Janni?
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

First, my hdd is 32g. Second, the reason I do not like XP is a long story, but basically, I bought a refurbished Dell. (I have always built my own systems, but wanted this one just because) It had programs on it that I didn't want but left on because I wanted to learn XP Pro and since there were so many things in the program that were different from 98SE, I didn't know what it would do if I uninstalled them. I found out two things: one, this copy of XP Pro should have NOT been put on this hdd. Found out that when I went to dl an upgrade from MS, told me it was an illegal copy. Two, there were/are many corrupted files and I can't do some things without getting some error message about not being able to run or install programs. So I bought an XP Pro CD.

I have another machine that I built that has Win98SE on it if I ever get withdrawals from using XP. I really do want to learn XP.

I changed my BIOS to boot to the CD, but I can't do that. The sequence I changed it was: CD, C, Floppy. It boots into C: and doesn't recognize the CD-ROM. I changed the sequence all around with no consequence. So, I will now follow Wullieb1's instructions.

Will let you know if I am successful!! Thank you!!

Janni

Comment

Does the system ask to "Press any key to boot from CD" at all??

As the system already has an OS installed on it it will ask you for this.

You could try Fdisking the drive and trying the install again from cd.

BTW what type of Dell Laptop is it??

Comment

First, it isn't a laptop, it is a DT, Dell Optiplex. Yes, I had that option, but it didn't do anything. I did follow the instructions that Wullbie1 posted. Got the I386 files copied to C: then went in and did the winnt.exe and the Install Windows XP Pro window came up. Hit Enter at the prompt and got some message about not being able to find aarich.sys. It IS there. Did some Googling, actually a LOT of Googling and I see that there is an issue with the Dell and Windows server. Reference was made to a Reg value, but since I don't have an OS (just the sys files from fdisking) installed, there is no Reg. It is something on this machine and I need to know how to get rid of it, other than a new MoBo.

BTW the hdd I am doing is not this one. This one will be next. I want to be sure I can get it right on the big hdd first. This one is a little one, only 10g.
              Thanks for your input. I get so crazy with these things I don't understand. I do things on a need-to-know basis and guess I shouldn't. But this is how I learn!

Janni

Comment

Sorry for some reason i seemed t thnk it was a laptop.

Right back to the problem at hand.

When you were asked to press any key did you press anything??

Have you tried a different CD/DVD drive??

When you FDISK'ed the drive did you leave the drive with no system files on it?? Try this and see if the PC will boot straight from the CD.

Comment

Nice to see you right on top of this!! I formatted with the system files switch. When I fdisk'd I left the DOS/system partition there. I have my CDRW but I am not sure it will recognize it??? I just assumed it wouldn't since the CD/DVD is the one on the system.

The first time I ever reformatted an hdd, I didn't /s and I had a mess!! Of course, that was before I even knew what hdd stood for. And my common sense tells me that I really don't need to /s because those are the files on the boot disk, right? Plus the D: has those files on it.

I have a headache.

Janni

Comment

Oh oh oh I forgot, yes I pressed Enter when asked to press any key. This kb didn't come with an any key so I improvised!!

What would happen if I put the hdd into another machine I have and installing it there then putting it in this machine? Other than having to install all the drivers, which is not a problem since I have them all on a CD.

Janni

Comment

When you FDISK the drive leave it without a file system on it, i.e. no partitions and try again.

When you say nothing happened whenyou pressed enter did the screen go blank or anything come up??

Try following these steps, i know you will be repeating it but bear with me.

1. Remove all HDD aprt from the one you will FDISK. Boot from Win98 bootdisk.
                      2. Run FDISK from the drive.
                      3. Delete all partitions using FDISK. DO NOT create any partitions.
                      4. Insert CD into your CD drive.
                      5. Remove floppy from drive and restart your PC using either the reset button or Ctrl+Alt+Del.
                      6. Allow the system to boot from CD and record any errors as you get them.

Report back here with results.

Comment

Originally posted by Janni
                        Oh oh oh I forgot, yes I pressed Enter when asked to press any key. This kb didn't come with an any key so I improvised!!
                        Janni
                        Ah, yes! Well now! There could be half the problem!

Try get a keyboard with the Any Key on it.

Comment

Will order one from Homer Simpson today!!

The problem with installing now seems to be this aarich.sys file that can't be found although it is on C:. I am going to hit Skip This File and see what happens. I just woke up a bit ago so I have to wait until I am fully awake or I will create a disaster!

Will get back to you after I do what you suggest! I can usually find the solution to problems after I go to bed and can think about what I am doing. Not this time, yet.

Janni

Comment

Okay - I've been thinking here as to what the problem could be and I've got 2 really dumb questions:

1) What model Optiplex is it?
                            2) How old is the machine?

Comment

Not a dumb question. It is an Optiplex GX100. The BIOS are from 2000 but that doesn't mean much. I bought it (great deal: monitor, kb, system for $235) last year. The guy I bought it from had purchased a lot of these from a state office and refurbished them. Upgrades are okay. The lowprofile dt has 2000 stamped on it. (my cat Judy is on top of it).

I went up to the MS site to download the Startup disks and they are no longer there. I had an idea that went south. I installed Win98SE on that hdd and figured I could put XP over it. I made such a mess (please don't ask) that I will be reformatting it AGAIN tomorrow.

Janni

Comment

Working...
                              X