No announcement yet.

Two versions of Windows

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two versions of Windows

I am hoping to help a friend who has a PC where some fool has installed Win XP but still leaving Win 2000 presumably in another partition. So it is perhaps not surprising he cannot get a printer to install and work.

I have software to reformat the whole drive prior to reinstalling Win XP etc. But that of course takes time. I also have a Linux or a Mini XP to run temporary in RAM capable showing and deleting any folders / files.

What is the quickest way to remove the Win 2000 partition so I can delete both versions of Windows prior to reinstalling Win XP.

Re: Two versions of Windows

If it is a full reinstall, I would delete the partitions at the XP installation (blue screen) phase

Boot from the XP media (you do know its out of support?) and early on it will display a list of partitions with options to delete them, create new ones etc.

This assumes you have copied anything you want to keep first
    [EDIT - moving this thread to the XP/2000 forum for better responses]
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

I agree with Tom. The easiest way to do this is to delete the partitions during the XP install.

Thanks guys, but at my age ( 81 ) I can never remember the procedure for installing XP so I have kept part of below if my pal does ask me for my help.

I have a partition on an old PC with XP left over from when I had Mint Linux installed with XP. But I have never managed to delete the partition only delete most of its contents and its opening option. A pal in the Radio club suggest I also use the XP OS disk to delete the partition. But once deleted will it be safe for me to abort installing XP presumably using the Cancel option.

Something waaaaay back in my cavernous pit of a brain suggests you look at Add remove/programs and see if there is an option to uninstall Windows 2000. I seem to remember this as an option for an operating system but I can't remember which one or if it had to be installed in a certain order. Anyway, it is worth a look.
          Departed: 23rd December 2015

These Things are very open and intensely clear explanation of these issues. It was truly information. Your blog is very informative.