Uninstall Windows 2000 but keep Windows XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstall Windows 2000 but keep Windows XP

I purchased a Fujitsu-Siemens Scenic S 2 on eBay with Windows 2000 Professional pre-installed but no recovery disks. On installing Windows XP Home, separately purchased, I was informed that it would not replace Win2K. Everything works OK and I have the choice of selecting either OS at startup. However I would like to uninstall Win2K without any disruption to XP or my PC in general. How do I go about this, please?

Re: Uninstall Windows 2000 but keep Windows XP

Are they installed on different partitions (like C and D) or on the same one? If yes, then it's much easier to perform.

Come back to us with the information and I'll try to help.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Both on one partition cNTSF on drive 0) - 40.02 GB - 26.08 GB free.

Comment

I am guessing that win2k will have installed to c:\winnt so when you boot into xp home just delete that directory. Win2k will be gone. Then modify the boot.ini file if you want to remove win2k from the choice menu when you 1st switch on. Although that last bit won't save any space!

Comment

Thanks to danielp and speedsman. I have deleted the directory c:\winnt as advised and all is fine except I have been unable to figure out how to modify the boot.ini file. A search for it was unsuccessful but I can live with the Win2K/WinXP option for a while. Still any further help would be most welcome. Thanks again.

Comment

I got the remaining info needed by Googling to http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/...781/19781.html
            Now booting directly to Windows XP. Thanks again for putting me on the right track

Comment

Your search was unsuccessful because your boot.ini is a hidden file. You need to edit your setting to aloow you to see hidden files before you can see it.

Once this is done then you can edit the boot.ini file in notepad.

Comment

Working...
              X