Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Add Windows components on Windows XP Professional SP1a

Hi,

Hope that anybody knows this one... I've encountered the issue when I was performing a test regarding the registry keys that keep the location of the I386 folder of Windows and SP1a.

Situation:
    Windows XP Professional clean installation
    Upgraded to SP1a using the network installation file from MS
    Add/Remove Windows Components
    Selected IIS and click Next

Then a popup came up request the file infocomm.dll from the Windows XP Professional SP1 CD. I've checked the existance of the file, it does only exist on my Windows XP Professional CD, it does not exist in the I386 folder of the extracted SP1a network installation file... As I don't have the full SP1a CD from MS, I can't check the existance of the file there.

Does anybody has an idea? It seems to me that this shouldn't come forward...

Regards,

Marty
    Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.

Why not point it to the old i386 folder? Even better, why not create a slipstreamed version of i386?

See my site for details on that.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Pointing to the original file of the Windows XP Professional CD let's the setup continue indeed. But still I thing it's a strange thing. I'm wondering about the content of the Windows XP SP1 CD... Also I'm wondering if the procedure is correct if it's asking for the CD and using the original file. I can be wrong but...

Finally after some other popups concerning files, the setup will finish... (like default.as_ in the \ip and the smtpsvc.dl_ in the \new subdirectories under I386 of the SP1a folder)

Didn't use a slipstreamed CD although I know the procedure to create one.

If somebody has an original CD of SP1 for Windows XP, can you check for the existance of the file? This to rule any consistency between the update available on the website of Microsoft and the CD released...

Best regards,

Marty
      Good technicians / scripters don't know everything, they just know where to look for the answer.

Comment

I think that the installation asks for the SP1 CD not because it actually needs the files from the SP1 CD but because it thinks it should get files from a folder where SP1 has been applied to. What I'm trying to say is that if you use a slipstreamed i386 folder I think you won't get any prompts.
        Cheers,

Daniel Petri
        Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
        MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

Thanks for your answer Daniel!

What I'll do is do the test again using a slipstreamed version. Due my current schedule it can take some days before I can do the actual test, but I will certainly keep you updated.

PS: the 2 other files exist in the SP1a I386 folder, but you have to point to the subdirectories below (\ip & \new). Thus all files do exist except that specific one...

Best regards,

Marty

Comment

Working...
          X