End of XP ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of XP ??

I was wondering in view of the large numbers still using Win XP accoriding to below, whether such as the EU will challenge MS copyrights of it once MS ceases to support it, and then attempt to provide some support instead.

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-warns...e589&ttag=e589

Re: End of XP ??

If I had to imagine anything worse than MS support, it would be governmental (if you can call the EU a government) support -- the mind boggles

Sorry, but I don't think anyone can force someone to support something for longer than they want so after April 2014 XP will be out of free support and patches -- you will still be able to pay for support. Whether third parties take up the support challenge is a different matter but I suspect MS copyrights (which are still valid) will prevent that.

Being fair, the OS is over 10 years old and users have alternatives available if they wish to use them. If your suggestion was followed, nothing could ever come out of support because people, somewhere, are still using it.
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      If I had to imagine anything worse than MS support, it would be governmental (if you can call the EU a government) support -- the mind boggles
      Obviously you haven't spoken to Symantec recently Tom.

Microsoft themselves have admitted that due to the amount of code in Windows Vista, 7 and 8 that originated in XP that almost every month they will be exposing bugs in XP as they patch them in the newer operating systems. That being the case, the large enterprises and the sheer bloody minded (those being the main categories of people still using XP) will have no choice but to move.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...or_windows_xp/
      BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
      sigpic
      Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
        I've gotten some pretty bad phone support from Microsoft (and I have saved some client's AD from being ruined by an MS tech) but I will say that their PFE's have all been top notch.

Originally posted by cruachan View Post
        Microsoft themselves have admitted that due to the amount of code in Windows Vista, 7 and 8 that originated in XP that almost every month they will be exposing bugs in XP as they patch them in the newer operating systems. That being the case, the large enterprises and the sheer bloody minded (those being the main categories of people still using XP) will have no choice but to move.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/08...or_windows_xp/
        Yup, that's why my company is making a push to move all our clients off of XP before the end of support.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
        X