CHANGING a local user profile to a domain profile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHANGING a local user profile to a domain profile

We always had some users who were not part of our domain since they used notebooks and were often off-site. The company who set us up with our MS Exchange Server 2003 set these users up with two IMAP accounts in Outlook 2003, one for when they are in the building and one for when they are outside the building. I don’t need to tell you how many issues that raised. I finally convinced management to spend the time and relatively small amount of money to configure our SonicWall firewall for VPN and get 11 user licenses.

Now I am having major problems when joining these ‘roving users’ to the domain. Copying their profiles to new profiles, takes a very long time as the have upwards of 5 GB in their profile directory. On the first user I ended up creating a new domain profile but after setting up their Outlook 2003 to work with the Exchange Server I had to re-create their other pop3 accounts, export and import their calendars and contact from their ‘Local Folders’ in Outlook, copy and past their desktop icons, and a host of other time-consuming troubles.

My question in short is this: is there any way to CHANGE their current local login profile, (without creating a copy as that will take up lots of space and time,) to a domain profile so that all I will have to do after that is add the exchange account to outlook and remove the two IMAP accounts.

I hope this is an okay first post on the forums that have helped me so many times in the past.

Re: CHANGING a local user profile to a domain profile

What OS do they have? Depending on that you could go to the user profiles and copy their exisitng profile to default user and when you log them into the domain it would bring the profile you just copied to the users new domain profile. I dont know if that would bring everything over but you could try it and see. We often copy profiles here at my job and it usually brings everything over. Not sure it if brings documents over but it should do all settings. We use a different method for storing files where I work. Hopefully I am not way off base and this helps you out.

Comment

We are using XP-Pro. My main problem with your solution is that copying more than 5 GB takes too much time and space. I also tried it using the built-in COPY TO in My Computer Properties > Advnaced > User Profiles Settings and the resulting profile was not the same as the originating profile for some reason.

Is there any way I can cheat the system? Maybe I can rename the directory username.domainname and just copy-paste a few system files over from the real domain profile?

Comment

Hi There,

I had the case in my work. What I did is create a Domain Name the same name which they were logon locally. Copy the Local Profile to whatever media you prefer, other than the orginal Location. Then let them logon into the Domain for the First Time, once the User Profile has been created Restart the Machine and Logon into the Administrator Local.

Then go to C:\Documents and Settings and paste the Profile which you have copied it before. It will ask you to Overwrite, yes, yes, and yes.

Restart the Machine and logon into the Domain by thier username and password. and It's DONE.

Habibalby
        ================================
        HND: Higher National Diploma in
        Computer Science(IT)

Passed:
        MCSA+Security 2003, VCP3, VCP4
        Done:VMware DSA
        ================================[/COLOR]

Comment

Hmm 5GB in a profile!!! It must take an age to logon.

5GB is way too much data to be stored in a profile and if i'm reading correctly they are roaming profiles. Correct me if i'm wrong.

You roaming profiles should be alot smaller than that m8.

Comment

They are local profiles. The reason they're so large is because users don't want to know about removing their 8MB attachments from emails and stroing them on servers, so their email boxes can be upwards of 2GB. The rest of it is simply because of the fact that Windows causes people to save stuff in My Documents, which is within a user's profile.

Here's what I did for the seond computer:
            Joined the domain
            Rebooted and logged in as DOMAIN\user to create a profile. I now have two directories under Docs & Settings, user and user.DOMAIN.
            I logged out and back in as DOMAIN\administrator
            My Computer Properties > Advanced > User Profiles Settings
            I highlighted the old LOCAL\user profile and clicked Copy To
            Now I browsed to the new user.DOMAIN directory. (OK to overwrite)
            I also clicked on Change and selected the user from AD

It took some time but less then expected. Everything was OK except that it 'forgot' the passwords in the pop3 accounts in Outlook.

I am still looking for a way to do it that will not create a duplicate copy of the entire profile, but until I find a way, this is how I'll do it.

Thanks all for the help.

Comment

run regedit and go to this key

HLKM\software\microsoft\windows nt\current version\profile list

your see a bunch of subfolders with sid's(a bunch of numbers start with an s)

look at the key ProfileImagePath for each subfolder until you see it pointing to the domain users profile folder. so it should have the value of %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\username.domain

change that to the path of their old profile. Reboot and your done.
              MCSE 2000\2003, A+
              00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

I have tried this and it seems to fail in XP pro in a Windows 2003 domain.

Assume the following:

local user psmith
                domain account psmith.starbar

local user has a complicated desktop and various legacy programs.

What you're saying is the by simply making a registry change on the new profile entry in

key ProfileImagePath %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\psmith.starbar

change that to the path of their old profile.

key ProfileImagePath %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\psmith
                Reboot and your done.

I rebooted and new document and settings psmith.starbar.000 has been created, or course with the default settings. I was done alright

This did not work for me. Tested this a few times. Life should be so simple.
                did I miss something?

This is making me wonder if I copy the D&S\psmith folder contents to D&S\default user and create the domain account, exactly what would happen.

If there is more to this kind of solution I'm all ears. Gawd, please let it be so
                more testing and the prospect of 110+ desktops looms. Will keep you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by wantasm
                  I have tried this and it seems to fail in XP pro in a Windows 2003 domain.

Assume the following:

local user psmith
                  domain account psmith.starbar

local user has a complicated desktop and various legacy programs.

What you're saying is the by simply making a registry change on the new profile entry in

key ProfileImagePath %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\psmith.starbar

change that to the path of their old profile.

key ProfileImagePath %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\psmith
                  Reboot and your done.

I rebooted and new document and settings psmith.starbar.000 has been created, or course with the default settings. I was done alright

This did not work for me. Tested this a few times. Life should be so simple.
                  did I miss something?

This is making me wonder if I copy the D&S\psmith folder contents to D&S\default user and create the domain account, exactly what would happen.

If there is more to this kind of solution I'm all ears. Gawd, please let it be so
                  more testing and the prospect of 110+ desktops looms. Will keep you posted.
                  Have you made any progress?!? I have a similar situation and need a solution very soon. Any one else come accross the problems of the computer creating new accounts when the key ProfileImagePath is changed?

Comment

I guess the decision is the following:
                    1. log in as DOMAIN\user to create a profile (folder) and log off
                    2. log in as DOMAIN\administrator
                    3. make all files visible in folder options or run the appropriate file manager
                    4. move (not copy) all that you have in local user profile folder to newly created domain user profile folder
                    5. check permissions on domain user folder (must be set to domain user full access)
                    6. run regedit
                    7. go to HKEY_Users, then choose File -> Load Hive, choose file ntuser.dat (user registry file) in domain user profile folder
                    8. check permissions again
                    9. Unload hive
                    10.log off and log on as Domain\user

It works well in Russia, even on licensed copies
                    P.S. moving is much faster than copying....

Comment

Working...
                    X