Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immediate logoff after login

Hi,

I'm having a problem with some of our pc's. The moment you logon, it immediately logs off. I already checked the registry for the userinit value, I also replaced already the userinit and the explorer.exe but still no avail. Now, when I try to logon into the domain, I get the message that the netlogon service hasn't started. Somebody ahs a clue what I could do next?

Jvuz

Re: Immediate logoff after login

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode and running:

sfc /scannow

If that does not help, try running a Repair from the installation media.
    A recent poll suggests that 6 out of 7 dwarfs are not happy

Comment

Hi, yes I tried running in safe mode, but it was the same. Can I run sfc /scannow using BartPE?

Comment

The LSASS virus did this, didn't it?

Suggest some offline malware scans are in order (McAfee Stinger or equivalent)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

i doubt this is the case here, but I can always check. I'll keep you posted. Other ideas are still welcome.

Comment

Checked the disk, clean.

Comment

Didn't XP do this if it was a pirated version??

Comment

Hi, is the netlogon service started and set to automatic? Any errors in the event log?

You could try to remove and reinstall, Client for Microsoft Networks. IIRC you may need the xp disk for this.
                http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...ient4msnet.htm
                Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
                I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
                MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

Are you able to connect to it remotely?

Comment

Sadly no I can't even ping to it. But maybe the firewall is enabled, it shouldn't be.

@uk_network: I don't know because I can't logon, with no user. Whan I try to connect with another, not yet used user on that pc, user I get the message I cannot because the netlogon service doesn't run.

Comment

For one PC, an fdisk may be the quickest solution
                      Tom Jones
                      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                      IT Trainer / Consultant
                      Ossian Ltd
                      Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Have you tried running the repair routine from the installation media.

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Comment

I can't get into safe mode and I can't get into the recovery console. Maybe it's because the pc got installed by another company and I think they use image for installing.

Comment

Ossian: you mean using floppy? The pc only has usb ports.

Comment

No, I meant to wipe the OS (after recovering any required data e.g. by mounting the drive in another machine) and reinstall it all. In general for a single machine causing problems, this is the quickest and most effective solution.

I used fdisk as a generic term for wiping the OS entirely -- I could have talked about "nuking the OS"
                              Tom Jones
                              PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                              IT Trainer / Consultant
                              Ossian Ltd
                              Scotland

Comment

Working...
                              X