Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual XP machines all of a sudden are unreachable on the network

Hello everyone!
    This may be posted somewhere and if you will refer me to a solution I will greatly appreciate it, but in the meanwhile here's my problem

Out of nowhere it seems ( it never is out of nowhere but I haven't figured out what happened to cause it yet) on one of the servers that has Hyper-V running few virtual machines - all of the virtual XP-machines became unreachable ( they are for remote access to offsite users)... in the same Hyper-V there are 3 servers Windows 2008 running fine and I am able to access either through RD... but the 10+ virtual XP machines are just not pinging (Reply from XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX: Destination host unreachable.) and it's only those machines - everything else works fine...
    I have not restarted the Hyper-V as it's a production server that holds it and it's DIFFICULT to get that done... I did however checked everything that I thought of - DHCP on the domain controller, DNS, event logs...
    One thing I found that relates to one of the virtual machines is EventID 10009 Source DCOM (DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer MACHINE NAME using any of the configured protocols.)....
    I am lost I've checked suggested solutions on forums for that eventid and nothing is out of order...
    It seems like a certain range containing the virtual machines just dropped off ... Please help...
    Last edited by inf3rn0flwr; 31st May 2013, 20:30. Reason: update needed to the topic - found through troubleshooting

Re: Virtual XP machines all of a sudden are unreachable on the network

Check the ip configuration on the XP VM's to make sure it's valid.

Make sure that the XP VM's are connected to the correct virtual switch.

Comment

UPDATE:
      after server restart the machines ping fine now but still unable to connect through RD ... and another discovery - Remote Desktop is unchecked in the firewall settings that is controller through GPO ... BUT I didn't make any changes at all lately! Not since I took over the position about 4 months ago! ... completely lost now...
      AND apparently this little feature is on all the Windows XP machines on the network ....

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty View Post
        Check the ip configuration on the XP VM's to make sure it's valid.

Make sure that the XP VM's are connected to the correct virtual switch.
        The settings have not changed since the time that everything was working. I've checked the IPs just in case and it's all as per usual... After the restart of the server the PING works on all of the systems but the RD is disabled in the firewall which is the problem... I went through the GPOs to check and nothing changed since when everything was working... Any other ideas?

Comment

Moved to the Hyper-V Forum.

Comment

So the only issue now is RDP access to the XP VMs?

Can you verify a few things;

Is the Hyper-V server Domain joined
            Are the Windows XP VMs Domain joined
            Are there any recent updates reported in the event viewer or via Add/Remove Programs on the server and VMs.
            Have you added another NIC to one of the XP VMs and tested?
            Have you joined them to another Virtual Switch to test?
            Do you want the Firewall Off or On? Have you tested either way?

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual View Post
              So the only issue now is RDP access to the XP VMs?

Can you verify a few things;

Is the Hyper-V server Domain joined
              Are the Windows XP VMs Domain joined
              Are there any recent updates reported in the event viewer or via Add/Remove Programs on the server and VMs.
              Have you added another NIC to one of the XP VMs and tested?
              Have you joined them to another Virtual Switch to test?
              Do you want the Firewall Off or On? Have you tested either way?
              Is the Hyper-V server Domain joined - Yes
              Are the Windows XP VMs Domain joined - Yes
              Are there any recent updates reported in the event viewer or via Add/Remove Programs on the server and VMs. - Yes ( currently trying to find out if one of the last updates caused it - last update was 15th of May)
              Have you added another NIC to one of the XP VMs and tested? - No
              Have you joined them to another Virtual Switch to test? - Not yet - but then if it was Hyper-V issue that would affect the DC for that site and the web server on the same Hyper_V no?
              Do you want the Firewall Off or On? Have you tested either way? Firewall has to be on... Have not tested the off but I can clearly see that the RDC is unchecked and it's GPO controlled...

Another thing we found that it is affecting other XP machines - not only Virtuals ... so it's not a Hyper-V topic it's XP topic

Comment

has been resolved. GP for Firewall wasn't properly working. Had to redo.
                Never figured out what caused it... if someone has ideas I'd love to know...

Comment

Working...
                X