• Show
Clear All

• Memory Management Problem

Hi,

Before I continue heres my sys specs:
    Windows XP Professional SP2
    Intel Pentium 4 1.7 Ghz
    1.69 Ghz, 384 MB of RAM
    My PC has bcum very slow nowadays... I know that I hav lotta services running in da background like my personal firewall, antivirus, spyware guard etc. and I cant afford to turn them off... u know why So, are there any useless windows services that can be turned off/disabled. I found an article in techrepublic.com but it only "mentions" those useless services and doesnt tell us how to turn them off !! Even while im playin games I get a notification in the sys tray that "Virual Memory too low bla bla...". I've been playin games 4 a long time now and I neva faced dis prob. Before I play any game I chek if I atleast fulfill the min sys requirements.

I regularly scan for spywares and Im sure my sys is clean. So wats goin on??

Can sum1 help me out here
    Be nice to geeks. You might end up working for one!

Re: Memory Management Problem

Have you tried increasing the Virtual Memory (make the pagefile bigger)? 384MB RAM is a tad on the minimum side. Might be worth investing in an extra 256 or better 512MB module.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

What alot of people don't seem to realise is that when you read the minimum specs of any program you must then add the minimum specs for windows on top of that.

As has been said you could try increasing the pagefile to 2 times the amount of RAM but the easiest option is to buy another stick of at least 256 and add it to your system. You should be able to pick it up relatively cheaply now.

PS. I would also add a recommended minimum for XP to be 256MB

Comment

heres a site where a guy has listed all the starnderd serives what they do and if they should be turned off http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm the page goes down alot so if it its down heres a mirror of it. http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm. sites been around for quite a while and is probably the most accurate you will find for disabling servies. you have a farily decent machine though it shouldn't be all that slow unless your playing doom 3 or something like that.
        MCSE 2000\2003, A+
        00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Originally posted by pcking999
          heres a site where a guy has listed all the starnderd serives what they do and if they should be turned off http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm the page goes down alot so if it its down heres a mirror of it. http://www.dead-eye.net/WinXP%20Services.htm. sites been around for quite a while and is probably the most accurate you will find for disabling servies. you have a farily decent machine though it shouldn't be all that slow unless your playing doom 3 or something like that.
          I cud neva play dat game Pls dont remind me of dat... It kills me !!

Thanx 4 da links mate !

Comment

Originally posted by wullieb1
            What alot of people don't seem to realise is that when you read the minimum specs of any program you must then add the minimum specs for windows on top of that.

As has been said you could try increasing the pagefile to 2 times the amount of RAM but the easiest option is to buy another stick of at least 256 and add it to your system. You should be able to pick it up relatively cheaply now.

PS. I would also add a recommended minimum for XP to be 256MB
            Thanks fur tha infumation lad

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
              Have you tried increasing the Virtual Memory (make the pagefile bigger)? 384MB RAM is a tad on the minimum side. Might be worth investing in an extra 256 or better 512MB module.
              Oh srry mate.. i 4got 2 mention that my RAM is a SDRAM and dey r outta market coz dey hav been replaced by DDR RAMs... wateva dey r

Comment

Originally posted by Dsypher
                Oh srry mate.. i 4got 2 mention that my RAM is a SDRAM and dey r outta market coz dey hav been replaced by DDR RAMs... wateva dey r

Look at www.crucial.com.

They still sell SDRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsypher
                  Must be getting old as your "coded post" is very difficult to read. Anyway, I just purchased 11GB, yes eleven GB SDRAM before Christmas to ugrade some school systems. No special bulk price, just AUD$60 per 256MB module (fink zata bou tweny5 quid).
                  1 1 was a racehorse.
                  2 2 was 1 2.
                  1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                  2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
                    Must be getting old as your "coded post" is very difficult to read. Anyway, I just purchased 11GB, yes eleven GB SDRAM before Christmas to ugrade some school systems. No special bulk price, just AUD$60 per 256MB module (fink zata bou tweny5 quid).

Yep i can believe that.

A couple of years ago a company i worked for bought 100GB in 256 modules for a mass upgrade of there systems. What a nightmare that was i can tell you.

Comment

Working...
                    X