Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Map Network Drive

Hi
    I need some help here. I have an XP Pro machine that has lost a shared/mapped connection. When I try to re-establish the connection I can't see any thing on the network except the network itself.

When I click on the network nothing happens, If I right click and click open I get an error message

"[domainname] is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions."

"A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I can ping the server where the share is located, I can remote into the server, and I am the administrator.

Machine setting next to this one connects fine to the share automatically on this users logon

Any Ideas
    Last edited by henthorn; 4th April 2013, 15:53.

Re: Can't Map Network Drive

are you using a domain account to access the resource?

can you access shared drives with other accounts on that station?

can you manually browse to the location via unc path? like "\\pdc\c$\sharewhatev\" you should be able to view the folder via unc if the permissions are correct.

try rejoining the computer to the domain if all else fails. sometimes when i have computers that are offline for too long, i end up with weird resource problems that get fixed by dropping it off the domain and bringing it back on...

...for what its worth.

j
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Yes I am using a domain account.

I cannot share drives on any accounts on this machine nor manually browse there

I have not taken it off of the network and put it back on. I have another machine - a laptop that belongs to the same user - that I had a similar problem with and I cannot now re-add the machine to the network. I did have to reboot my DC today because the AD failed. Haven't yet had the time to test his system to see if it was an AD issue.

I will post a follow up tomorrow after I have the chance to test it.

Thanks

J

Comment

stupid suggestion.
        Reboot it and see.
        Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

Check SHARE and NTFS permissions
          Check Group Memberships. Someone I know (and I am not going to mention my name) has been know to drag and drop an Object into an OU with different permissions (or even a GPO).
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

tehcamel - Yes and no help

biggles77 - Shares and NTFS Permissions are fine though I did create a new OU for the computers so I could do some granular GPO for printers but this isn't effecting any other users/machines even though I have a mini lab in that room which I moved all together into the new OU. The user this is effecting can logon fine on all of the rest of the machines in that lab

This user also has a laptop that I took off the network and now cannot put back on the network so I am leery of taking this machine off of the network when everything else works. But I am probably going to have to chance taking it off of the network and putting it back on.

That staff member is gone today so I'll have to wait until Monday.

Thanks for your suggestions

J

Comment

Originally posted by henthorn View Post
              I cannot now re-add the machine to the network.
              I did have to reboot my DC today because the AD failed.
              Haven't yet had the time to test his system to see if it was an AD issue.
              - cannot see or adjust share permissions
              - cannot rejoin computer to domain
              - had to reboot DC because AD failed.

It's an AD problem. Fix your AD problem.
              Please do show your appreciation to those who assist you by leaving Rep Point https://www.petri.com/forums/core/im.../icon_beer.gif

Comment

OK so here's the latest iteration of the problem

The machine I was working on I took off the domain, logon to local admin try to reconnect to the domain.

Computer Name Changes:

The following error occurred attempting to join the domain [localdomain] (please note that this is not the actual domain name)

A device attached to the system is not functioning

Network card is functioning

ipconfig:

DNS Suffix [localdomain] is correct
                IP address 172.20.1.96
                Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
                Default Gateway 172.20.0.1

All correct
                I can ping the DNS server running the AD
                No errors in the AD
                I am actually using this machine to post this issue.

Tried a new network card same issue

This is the same issue I am having on this staff members laptop but all other machines on the network are working fine and the staff member can logon any other machine with no issue.

Check the cabling, checked the switch the only thing in common is that both machines belong to the same staff member and he has been using a pen drive to move files. Is there a new virus out there that could do this.

Also we just recently moved to the AV platform K7. Have run this and found no viruses. Ran Malwarebytes = no virus??

I am at my wits end here Anyone who has any thoughts please help???!!!
                Last edited by henthorn; 8th April 2013, 15:28.

Comment

- remove AV package.
                  - reboot.
                  - netsh int tcp reset C:\tcpreset.log
                  - netsh int ip reset C:\ipreset.log
                  - reboot.
                  - join domain

Comment

Reimage the machine. You may have a nasty rootkit or a virus that is really good at hiding.
                    1 1 was a racehorse.
                    2 2 was 1 2.
                    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

tehcamel

I did try to remove the AV but because it was pushed out from the server I can only uninstall it from the network admin account on that machine and I can't access that account because I took the machine off of the network.

I did try the other steps though without luck

biggles77

That's what I was thinking but I wanted to exhaust all possibilities because the staff member that uses the machine is a tech ed teacher who has a large number of non standard programs on his system - Major work to replace.

I was really hoping to find another solution but so far no luck and to continue to search has become unproductive - It's taken too much time now.

I am replacing the staff members laptop so it will be a week before I remirror - If anyone else has any ideas please let me know - Thanks to all who read my post and offered possibilities
                      Last edited by henthorn; 9th April 2013, 16:40.

Comment

Working...
                      X