Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP - Shadow Copy not working

Hi Everyone

I've been trying to virtualise an old Windows XP Pro machine in order to get rid of the hardware without loosing some of the applications I'm still using occasionally, but it keeps failing with Shadow Copy errors. I've searched for hours on the web for a fix and reinstalled, uninstalled and modified the registry with all kinds of fixes, but without success.
    At this stage the only alternative I can see is to just create a full backup and then try to restore it back to a virtual machine, however I have my doubts that this will fully work.
    So if someone has an idea how to either fix the VSS problem on Windows XP Pro or how to bypass the VSS error when converting with VMWare, please let me know.
    cheers
    hpfn

Re: Windows XP - Shadow Copy not working

Can you please give us more of an indication of what the problem is, particularly any event log messages?

What SP are you on?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by hpfn View Post
      Hi Everyone

I've been trying to virtualise an old Windows XP Pro machine in order to get rid of the hardware without loosing some of the applications I'm still using occasionally, but it keeps failing with Shadow Copy errors. I've searched for hours on the web for a fix and reinstalled, uninstalled and modified the registry with all kinds of fixes, but without success.
      At this stage the only alternative I can see is to just create a full backup and then try to restore it back to a virtual machine, however I have my doubts that this will fully work.
      So if someone has an idea how to either fix the VSS problem on Windows XP Pro or how to bypass the VSS error when converting with VMWare, please let me know.
      cheers
      hpfn
      Have you tried converting Offline as in the XP PC has been powered off and restarted to start the process?

Comment

XP doesn't have Shadow Copy capability. It can however utilise the Shadow Copy (via the Previous Version tab) option if it has been configured on Server 2003 and above (loved those MS adverts for 2003). Vista and Windows 7 have Shadow Copies but NOT XP Pro or Home.
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies & sorry I didn't respond earlier but I have been away for a few days.
          The machine I'm trying to virtualise is running Windows XP Pro SP3 and I realise that XP does not have Shadow Copy like Win7, however it can do System State backups when running NTBackup.
          What is confusing though that VMWare converter fails with a ShadowCopy error and I can't find a fix for it?

hpfn

Comment

Can you please tell us exactly what error message you receive and what software you are using to convert.

Also please try this

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1016330

Comment

Hi wullieb1

I've downloaded the latest version of the VM-Converter Standalone this morning and installed it on the XP machine without problems, however when running the conversion it again fails with the same VSS error as when I tried previously across the network (see attached screen shot).
              I was hoping running the converter from the actual physical machine might bypass the attempt to run VSS.

hpfn

PS: couldn't find anything related to VSS in the link doco
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by hpfn View Post
                Hi wullieb1

I've downloaded the latest version of the VM-Converter Standalone this morning and installed it on the XP machine without problems, however when running the conversion it again fails with the same VSS error as when I tried previously across the network (see attached screen shot).
                I was hoping running the converter from the actual physical machine might bypass the attempt to run VSS.

hpfn

PS: couldn't find anything related to VSS in the link doco
                Please check this doco from VMware. It describes exaclty your error.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1019690

Comment

Thanks wullieb1, I found this doco previously and followed the instructions a couple of weeks ago when I first started this project and had this error coming up, but without success. Just to make sure I went through all steps again last night but the error is still the same.
                  I'm wondering if there is another method to virtualise a machine ie. with a dedicated boot disk without running the local O/S?
                  hpfn

Comment

There was a Cold Clone CD that was available to Enterprise customers but that is no longer available.

This site will show you the steps required to create your own "Cold Clone" CD using a tool called MOA.

http://www.ardamis.com/2009/04/25/co...are-converter/

Comment

Thanks wullieb1, sounds very interesting and will try the procedure as soon as time allows.
                      I'll report back on success or failure
                      thanks very much for the link
                      hpfn

Comment

I never had much success with it but it didn't matter as i had a Cold Clone Cd.

Comment

Working...
                        X