Win 2000 Prefessional to Win XP Corporate Migration

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 2000 Prefessional to Win XP Corporate Migration

I will be conducting a Windows 2000 Professional to Windows XP Proffesional migration on all of my corporate users (approx. 300 users). Does anyone have any ideas or sample project plans for this? Any and all assistance will be greatly apprciated.

Re: Win 2000 Prefessional to Win XP Corporate Migration

Are you looking for a canned MS Project plan template for the migration? (with gantt chart, etc.) If so I don't think one exists.
    Andrew

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

Not looking for a canned product exactly. I'm Basically looking for a common way to test and what processes people have taken to do the migration. I.E. do I do clean installs or upgrades? Do I perform the migration automated? What is the best practice for migrating off-site users? Run install/migration from XP CD or prepared images? I have 4 major groups out of the 300 users - do I perform the migration in steps (by group)? Thanks for the reply.

Comment

I'd be loading XP onto one workstation and installing all necessary software to it. Making sure it all runs correctly on the network and testing it thoroughly under your companies common work practices. Then create an image of it and use it to upgrade all your machines across the network. Make sure all necessary drivers for all workstations are included. Will take some time to sort out but once done the upgrade to all machines can be done overnight.
        Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

The first question your'de have to ask yourself if what kinda of data do you have on your local machines. Obviously if uses are storeing data on their local machines, (and their try their hardest to do just that) a clean install or imaging solution is not gonna work. do you have all kinda's of different hardware or basically the same. at best your gonna have to download a bunch of drivers. that said ideally i'de so a clean image, that would be the easiest way. you could also setup a ris server. Defently do it in groups do say 15 machines and give the users like 2 weeks. if you dont hear any complaints then look at doing the rest.
          MCSE 2000\2003, A+
          00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Working...
          X