Stuck Windows Startup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Windows Startup

Over the years I have experienced a lot of trouble a times persuading Windows to startup properly. It sometimes gets stuck, refusing to allow me to use the PC. If I then press the Console Button it states Explorer is still running.

I finally discovered the problem can be cleared by first using a PC TUNEUP provided by AVG. and then removing or disabling most of the programs in the Startup, such as those not located in Windows XP system32 folder, using a little freeware program from http://www.mlin.net/

But why is it the list of programs showing is different when the PC is started under SAFE mode, compared to NORMAL startup. Presumably it is advisable to disable unwanted programs in both startups.

I expect wonderfull Windows 7 and 8 is also be prone to this probelm, but I will be obliged to update to at least 32 bit Win 7 soon. I still have a lot of old 16 bit software I like to use at times

Gordon

Re: Stuck Windows Startup

Safe mode starts windows with a minimal set of drivers (standard VGA, mouse, keyboard, HDD) and is used to repair problems e.g. changed screen resolution to something the monitor cant handle
    Other programs should not normally start in safe mode, and it is not a substitute for a normal startup (i.e. leave it alone)
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

If I left all the rubbish dumped in my startup often from dubious sources snooping into my PC, I doubt it would ever startup again ! Besides I have not experienced any problems in running my PC having disabled or deleted unwanted programs.

Comment

I wasn't talking about disabling anything normally -- do that as you need (and I agree there is a lot of bloatware around) -- I was talking specifically about safe mode, where nothing should start except a Microsoft approved list
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

autoruns from sysinternals (microsoft now) is a good tool for looking at most things that run on startup (and also other areas). Obviously be careful what you do in there but you can generally help machines that have been around for a long time with software installed/removed regularly on them.
          cheers
          Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Working...
          X