No announcement yet.

Netbios turns off

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Netbios turns off

I have one user that is having an odd issue where Netbios turns off & I can not turn it back on though the tcp/ip wins tab. The only way that I have found to get it back on is via a system restore. This issue may happen every morning on boot for a week then not occur for a month.

I have
    -uninstalled and reinstalled the network card drivers
    -replaced the network card
    -used netsh winsock reset catalog, netsh int ip reset reset.log,
    -checked the DHCP server and it is not setup to turn it off, just to be sure I put it on a static for a while
    -used regshot before and after a system restore (377,000 changes are to many to sort though)
    -and finally formatted and reloaded the OS.

The format and reload turned netbios back on but only for a couple of weeks. I have been unable to recreate the issue intentionally. This has been going on for a year and is driving me crazy.

Also should have added from the begining
    This is an XP SP3 machine on a SBS2003 domain.
    Last edited by nbolds442; 7th September 2012, 16:52. Reason: Forgot some info

Re: Netbios turns off

have you uses primary DNS suffix ..??
    " DreaM is not what u saw in Sleep,
    DreaM is that which not let u Sleep "

Life is Beautiful..!!!
    `.) Always
    `.(`.) Keep
    (`.). Smiling!
    Raj only raj

Er... what has WINS got to do with DNS?

@nbolds -- apart from the annoyance, is it having any side effects or can you live with DNS only?
      Tom Jones
      MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
      PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
      IT Trainer / Consultant
      Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

On the local computer have you checked the status of the service in services.msc
        TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper.
        Check that it is started/automatic and that recovery is set to restart the service
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper is started. Good thought sorry it took so long to get back to you, but it's been behaving for a while now.

I was doing some more research and found that NetBIOS will only work under a couple of NodeTypes. The PC with the issue is set to unknown the other PCs are all hybrid. According to MS I can add the key
            HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NetBT\Param eters\NodeType dword=8
            and that will force it to a hybrid node type, however I have done this and rebooted node type is still set to unknown. The reg key is still the way I set it.