Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

Hai All,

I am facing an issue that windows xp cannot connect to the wireless network that enabled with WEP encryption with shared key and it is showing the error " The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters."

But some windows xp computers with same configuration and similar NIC are able to connect to the same network without any issue.

Please help me to find out the solution.

Many thanks in advance.
    Last edited by amnckd; 6th September 2012, 13:20. Reason: to change the title

Re: The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network conf

Same patch level?
    Up to date WiFi drivers?
    Correct key entered?
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: The network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network conf

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      Same patch level?
      Up to date WiFi drivers?
      Correct key entered?
      Thanks a lot for the instant reply,

Patch level I didnt check, Shall I know, how it can be checked?

And the drivers are installed from the same installation media.

I am sure that the key entered is correct.

Comment

Run Windows update

(Actually, go to computer properties and check service pack first -- IIRC there were some changes in WiFi authentication around SP2 time)
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Re: Windows XP cannot connect to the Wireless Network.

Sounds like a driver mismatch to me, I've seen something similar on an ancient laptop my sister had.

BTW do you really need to use WEP? It's horribly insecure, WPA is much better if all of your machines support it.
          BSc, MCSA: Server 2008, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging, MCTS
          sigpic
          Cruachan's Blog

Comment

Working...
          X