Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New users not getting default domain profile

Hi all,

I'm seeing a strange thing where when a newly created user in AD logs on for the first time they no longer get the default domain profile but a local one. The event logs show no errors.

The problem seems to have appeared since the DC was replaced (now W2K8, was W2k3)

The only way I can find to fix it is to log them off, delete the local profile then get them to log on again. On the second log on the default domain profile is picked up. Once their roaming profile is created the problem doesn't seem to reappear should they log onto a different machine.

It only ever effects users using XP clients (W7 pick up the default V2 profile OK)

Has anyone ever seen this and/or seen a solution?

Re: New users not getting default domain profile

If you let them log on first time, log off and then log onto a new machine I guess this second machine is fine?
    cheers
    Andy

Please read this before you post:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Comment

Yes, logging onto a second machine works.
      Obviously if they then log back onto the first machine they only get the local profile again.

Comment

So is the initial logon the one that creates the profile when the user logs off (in whatever path it is setup with)? Subsequent logons therefore have a profile already to log on "with"?
        I don't use roaming profiles but I'm sure it worked something like that?
        Apologies if I'm not being clear.
        cheers
        Andy

Comment

That's how it should (and did in the past) work but the initial log on doesn't create a roaming profile and transfer it to the server at log off.

Comment

Ah right. So it only creates the profile when you log on and back off another machine after the initial one?
            That would indicate it wasn't a permissions issue on the location then.
            Does anything get created?
            What's in the local client event log?
            cheers
            Andy

Comment

I don't see anything in the local event logs and only an empty local profile is created.

It's really odd as I've seen temporary profiles created if a roaming one is corrupted of just not there. I've never seen local ones made when everything says make/use roaming! Well not until now.

I may try deleting the default xp profile and recreate it to see if that does anything but I am clutching at straws

Comment

Our domain (Srvr 2003 R2, all clients XP, all profiles roaming and some folder redirects) has the same problem with new user first-time logons. If memory serves, some of the behavior changes back with either XP SP2 or SP3 started the fun. Instead of grabbing the default user profile from Sysvol, new users always see their initial profile created from the client PC's 'default user' profile. It has to do with the changes MS made in the sequence of how their network security works with a domain login, and mandating that a user change their password at next (first!) logon.

What we did to solve it was copy the sysvol Def User profile into our WDS images so that every client has the correct default profile. Haven't missed a beat, since. If you change your default domain profile often, you'll have to update your WDS images as well, but then again I suppose a run-once script during image deployment could copy the sysvol def user profile to the client PC when it stands up.

Haven't investigated any further 'cause we're changing over to 2008 R2 with Hyper-V machines and Win 7 clients. We're rebuilding the domain from scratch so we don't inherit any problems from the old one (aside from moving user objects, profiles, email).
                *RicklesP*
                MSCA (2003/XP), Security+, CCNA

** Remember: credit where credit is due, and reputation points as appropriate **

Comment

Working...
                X