Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error logging in locally - The local policy of this system does not permit you to log

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error logging in locally - The local policy of this system does not permit you to log

Hi,
    I'm getting this error message whilst trying to log on to a Windows XP SP3 laptop (this is logging in locally not via RDP)

"The local policy of this system does not permit you to logon interactively"

Here's what I've tried so far....
    • I've tried with a domain user and also a local administrator account, and receive the same error messages
    • The laptop was a remote user, and no changes have been made to the group policy as it's only effecting this one domain machine (out of thousands)
    • Have tried last known good, and also tried copying over the security settings from recovery console
      "copy c:\winnt\repair\security c:\winnt\system32\config\security"
    • If I try to connect to the machine remotely (to check user group settings etc) I am unable to connect, I get an access denied error message

So..

any ideas?

(also apologies for the very matter of fact, I've done this, that, t'other.. just thought it'd be easier...)

many thanks
    jk

Re: Error logging in locally - The local policy of this system does not permit you to

Go to:

Administrative Tools>Local Security Policy>Local Policies>User Rights Assignment

and see which users have the "Allow log on locally" user right.

Comment

Re: Error logging in locally - The local policy of this system does not permit you to

Hi Joe, unfortunately I'm unable to log on to the machine at all to load up the local policy.

(same error in safe mode as well)

I *think* that if I can find a way of remotely setting those parameters I should be okay, I have reset the local administrator password and I have a boot disk that should allow me full write access to the registry, but I'm unsure as to what I should be changing

thanks

Comment

Check in Active directory. The Log On To button in the accounts tab.
        Last edited by uk_network; 18th July 2012, 17:00.
        Please remember to award reputation points if you have received good advice.
        I do tend to think 'outside the box' so others may not always share the same views.

MCITP -W7,
        MCSA+Messaging, CCENT, ICND2 slowly getting around to.

Comment

unfortunately it's the same using any usernames.

It looks like there was some disk corruption which has knackered the SAM files. I've had to swap out the drive and reinstall

the old drive is now making a hell of a racket, so it could be a blessing that this happened rather than having the whole drive pack up

thanks all for your help

Comment

fdisk will solve most problems
            If the drive is causing problems, scrap it - put the drive into another machine for data recovery
            Tom Jones
            MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
            PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
            IT Trainer / Consultant
            Ossian Ltd
            Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

was going to suggest to treating it as a corrupt registry file and try the method used to restore it http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;q307545

I know those arnt the error messages but it did sound like something registry wise was corrupt.
              Life's a breeze, so spread your wings and fly baby

Comment

Working...
              X